General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Drive line upgrade general question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Default Drive line upgrade general question

Im not planning on upgrading my drive line just yet but just want to know more about it in general. My car has a 700r4 tranny im sure, being a 88 w/ a 350 engine. A buddy of mine that has a 89 did a lot of upgrades including a 350 trans, converter, and rear end. I dont see him much at all or else i would chat with him about it, so i will bend your ears. What is the advantage of the 350 trans vs the 700R4? I have read a little about it but nothing really is telling me "apples vs oranges". I also have seen 400 tannys for my car but know even less about them. I dont want to go crazy with the motor, maybe even leave it stock. I want to keep most of the car stock "looking". I would use the car for mostly street, maybe a little strip, and shows. I also wonder about the diff gear ratio's. I understand gears just fine, so i presume that say my stock ratio is 1:1 (i know its not but just for example) and i put a 3:1 in my car. With the new gears, the torque at the rear wheels would be much more??? Am i following that concept right? The pinion would have to turn 3 times now and not 1 per the ring turning 1 in both cases with would result in less speed but more torque. Let me know if im full of **** or have this concept under control. Also, what gear ratio is good for street/strip? I think thats all for now... haha. Well, maybe one more thing. How do the guys on the strip get the font wheels off the ground? That must be major torque.... Thanks for chattin.