General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

draining battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default draining battery

had to jump the battery for the starter to start the camaro. I bought a high torque starter and its doing the same draining the battery from 12 volts down to 8 volts while trying to start. WTF?

Old 01-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: draining battery

It is normal for battery voltage to drop several volts when the starter is engaged. However, if the battery only reads 12 volt with no load, it is not fully charged. Make sure your alternator is doing its job. Check the battery voltage with the engine running between 1200-1800 RPM, with all accessories and lights on. If the voltage is below 13.5 Volt, the alternator is either weak or not big enough for the job. If the voltage is holding during the test, then you may have a weak battery or something pulling power while the engine is off and draining the battery.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes

All the accessories are off. Talked with my father and said that it might be a dead cell in the battery. Its a new crate motor with all new Msd ignition. Everything was hooked up the same way. Going to get it tested for a dead cell this morning. Thanks.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:06 PM
Overdrive Member

As usual Pete leaves good advise.
A dead cell would read lower voltage. Much lower than 12. When you connect the last terminal of the battery is there a huge strong spark?

Old 02-01-2008, 11:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes

It sparks when I connect the terminals. I went ahead and took the battery to Advanced Auto and upgraded from 550 cold cranking amps to 800 cold cranking amps. I put the new battery in and it started fine. Turned it off and started it three seperate times with out any problems. Go to start it this morning and nothing. I hear the starter but it is not rotating the engine. It reads 12 volts and when I try to start it goes down to 8. Was told that it might be the alternator. Its a brand new one, along with the battery, and starter. Thinking I might have a drain somewhere. Disconnected the battery just in case.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Battery draw somwhere. Get a amp meter hooked up on the ground side and see how big a draw you have. Then start unlpugging things like the alt or start pulling fuses and see if the draw goes away. Then you've found the source of the draw and can go further.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/battery_runs_down.htm

Old 02-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Lighter, trunk light, hood light and glovebox lights are the common trouble makers. Is it a 69?

Old 02-01-2008, 11:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It is a 69. I have a radar hooked up to the lighter, but only comes on when I turn the ignition. Going to check the dome light and glove box this sunday after church. Will do the test with the multi-meter I picked up today on sunday as well. Should I have a remote starter solenoid? Thats what was in the car with the starter hooked to it and then to the battery with some other wires attached as well. I talked with a co-worker and he said that it didn't seam right to have it. He remembers only fords having them. It came like that when I purchased the car over a year ago. Thanks guys.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Careful. If you picked up a standard voltmete itmay not handle more then a single AMP Draw. You will pop the internal fuse in the meter. You need the inductive amp meter with the big clamp that goes around the wire. If your draw is less then an AMP it will not show on the cheaper inductive meters. If you drained 850 CCA battery in one night, youhave agreater then one Amp draw.

Tip
One trick I leanered early on is use a test light. Disconnect a battery cable. Put a light between the battery and the cable you just disconnected. If there is a decent draw the test light will light. (NOTE: Neverdo this on a computer controlled car). I love my Snap-on tesk light it seems to handle everything I through at it. A cheaper one may fry if you put 2-3 amps thru it.

Tip 2
I wish I had a dollar for every time a young tech checked the drawfound it to be safe for theirregular amp meter hooked it up and walked over and open the door and fried there meter I could go out and have a nice lunch, Yes I did it myself a long time ago . Run a seprate test for the dome lite and under hood light. Hook up your test light see if the draw is there with the doors closed. Unhook the light pull the dome light fuse. Recheck. Once that is done just startpulling fuses as stated above.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thank you Gorn for the tips. I bought the 70 dollar meter at Advanced Auto. It checks the charging system, fuses, etc, etc. It wasn't the cheap 10 dollar one we sell at Home Depot. Got to go to the house to do some work and will be brainstorming while working. Once again thanks.

Quick Reply: draining battery