General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CAMARO / Firebird question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 03:12 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default CAMARO / Firebird question.

Ok fellas well I 16, and I have only had my license for a month. (last week I took a corner doin 65 and slammed into an embankment, but we won't talk about that.) but anyways I am going to alaska this summer and I will be commercial fishing. When I get back I hope to have around 10-13 grand. I want to buy a fast car that wont be too expensive. at first i was thinking of like a 68 camaro but I want somehting maybe a little more practicle that gets better mileage. I have been looking at the 98-02 maros and firebirds. so could I get say a 99 WS6 for like 12 grand?? are they good cars?? same as the camaro's? just looking for some oppinions. thanx

Old 01-16-2006, 02:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: CAMARO / Firebird question.

well its according to what ur looking for. if ur looking at later model camaro/firebirds the only difference basically is appereance. i myself have a 94 z28 but the ws6 appeal to the eye but internally r the same as the ss. but of course u probably kno all this since u r a junior member but hey it never hurts to put in an opinion. ( and oh yea im with u on the wreck experience. i wrecked my first car which was an '84 firebird. i slammed head on into a tree and rock going about 50 after hydroplaning around a curve so dont feel too bad!)

Old 01-16-2006, 08:19 AM
2nd Gear member

First, a '68 Camaro is not practical because something that old needs more maintenance and care than you might think.

For 12 grand you can get a very good Camaro or Firebird of the vintage you're looking at. When the time comes and you're shopping, be sure to remember to ask here and you'll get advice on things to look for, etc. before buying.

Not that you will take my advice, but I would advise instead getting a slightly later model (01) with the 3.8 V6. No offense, but it takes a number of years of experience to learn to handle power like in a WS-6. You WILL get into trouble in it. The 200 HP V6 is still fast enough to embarrass some V8s, fun to modify, less expensive to insure, and somewhat less expensive to buy, meaning you $12K would buy a newer, lower mileage car.

Old 01-16-2006, 01:34 PM
2nd Gear member

well if it helps im 16, i have a big v8, and im scared to death of it. sometimes if im leaving like a stop sign or a leaving after a dead stop, if i jsut barely press the gas, it bolts forward and sometimes scares the **** out of you. yea im probably a little too unexperienced to really handle something with that power behind it, but i (almost) never screw around because i fight my urges. either way i would say go for the v8, so you dont have to buy one later. just fight ur urges, but its easier said then done.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

thanx for all the comments! I think I will go with a later model rather than a classic. will a LS1 beat an 04 GT mustang?? and what kind of mileage does the M6 get?

Old 01-20-2006, 12:10 AM
2nd Gear member

Yes, it won't even be close.

About 19 in town if you don't push it, 28 on the highway.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:44 PM

What kind of rpms do those things run at 55mph? I regret it sometimes but just last week I bought a 98 stang GT, for one reason I got a decent deal (im buying it myself, 15 years old almost 16) and the next reason is so I wont get in too much trouble. My next car is going to be a camaro but for now the GT will be fine. Take it from me, mustangs arent all that fast, but fast enough to kill you. A v6 camaro would give my GT a run for its money.

Old 01-21-2006, 03:37 AM
In the Staging Lanes

lol screw the v6. if im gunna spend that kind of money itss gunna be a V8

Old 01-21-2006, 12:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yea i with u myirocplx. i wouldnt spend that much money on a v6. the v8 would be a much better ride. and i kno plenty of teenagers around here that have v8. around here its not uncommon to see a teenager with a v8. one of them even has a viper or i would say had a viper. he wrecked it into a rock embankment going about 130 but a viper is too much anyways. but there still a cobra, a superchargered 05 gt, a saleen, my z28 and more, all owned by teenagers.

Old 01-21-2006, 01:46 PM

There is a chick at my school who drives a 96 GT, one dude with a 95 automatic z28, another guy in a 96 GT and me with the 98 GT, about a 91-92 Z28. None of them have gotten in any trouble yet, and Im with you on the v6 v8 thing, v6 is a waste of time and wont be worth much in the long run.

Quick Reply: CAMARO / Firebird question.