General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

cam/head configuration ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Overdrive Member
Default cam/head configuration ?

does anyone know how to determine how to match heads and cam together ? what about how long the push rods should be ? it doesnt say on the cam or heads

Old 10-18-2007, 10:22 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: cam/head configuration ?

[&:] need to know what motor were talking about and what is it your doing that would cause you to ask such questions?? chevy has been real good about limiting variations on most of thier stuff and pushrods have been pretty standard among generations of engines. are you asking if lt1 pushrods are the same as previous small blocks?? i would suspect so but will have to do some checking if thats what your asking. as for cam and head matching are you asking about matching a cam to the heads , compression ratio and other parts of the motor??? help us help u kurt

Old 10-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Overdrive Member

well im going with comp cam 305 http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

its on a lt1 engine, but engine has 145k right now so i wanted to get new push rods so nothing breaks

i just dont know what heads that would match that cam and i tried contacting comp cams but their application is a little difficult and i dont know how to answer most of the questions

Old 10-18-2007, 11:29 PM
2nd Gear member

[8D] is this car still computer controlled??? if not it seems a reasonable choice for your application and would certainly work with the stock engine parts. remember the engine is but an air pump and anything you can do to make it more efficient will yield better results for you and the other parts you are installing. lt4 heads would be a better choice to take advantage of the larger valves but stock will work. how much do you want to spend ??? cause we can change out for better parts from now till doomsday. again if this is non computer controlled and your gonna upgrade id look at edelbrock cams and head packages as well, should produce way better numbers than just a cam and stock heads. if your rod is still on the computer you gonna need to rethink this whole project kurt

Old 10-19-2007, 12:18 AM
Overdrive Member

yeah its still stock so it is still computer controlled, i do plan on doing heads as well, but i will check out what packages edelbrock has

Old 10-19-2007, 12:39 AM
2nd Gear member

[&:] you will NOT be able to retain computer controls for anything much beyond stock engine parts. the one exception would be a fully programmable computer that will have to be programmed and tweaked and retweaked to match the components you hope to assemble. the site lt1edit is a whole group of people doing just that. this proposition can be expensive time consuming and frustrating so if your not a computer nut and mechanics are not exactly your forte id recommend staying away from this type of endevor. the site gmhightechperformance has some good articles for the mild, stock computer upgrades along with all sorts of other goodies. unfortunately the new fuel injected computer controlled cars arent like the old carb versions. you cant throw a cam in over the weekend and slap headers on it and get nice HP gains the game has become way more expensive and much more complicated kurt

Old 10-19-2007, 12:41 AM
2nd Gear member

forgot to add that if you look at the cam specs for the summit site you gave us, near the bottom is says NOT computer compatible for that cam

Old 10-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Tech Droid

My suggestion, save your money and do the cam & head thing all at one time. Get ported heads and custom cam kit from Lloyd Elliott porting. PCM for less will be able to reprogram your PCM to handle the new heads and cam, plus any other mods you have done at a reasonable price.
Llloyd Elliott: http://www.eportworks.com/policy.html
PCM For Less: http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php

Old 10-19-2007, 01:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Alih

yeah its still stock so it is still computer controlled, i do plan on doing heads as well, but i will check out what packages edelbrock has
I am currently using Edelbrock heads and cam and it's not a bad set for the price (about $1500) but if I had to do it again I probably would of went with a head/cam combo from a after market company who builds a set specificly for what you want like eportworks.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Overdrive Member

i was planning on getting a cam first and then heads after that and then getting the computer tuned for all that, so are you saying the cam has to be computer controlled ? what would happen if the cam wasnt computer controlled ?

Quick Reply: cam/head configuration ?