General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

burnt out dash lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:35 AM
2nd Gear member
Default burnt out dash lights

Its not a real problem, just an **** retentive thing here. Its a v6 2000 firebird, and the 500 hash mark on the tach is out, it drives me nucking futs when im driving at night, i dont know why it just does....anyway....will removing the guage cluster cause accuracy problems? The lights are put in via the back of the cluster correct? so then there would be no need to remove anything on the front, plastic guard, needles, overlay ect ect.

I had someone tell me that once you disconnect a guage cluster from a car it completely loses its ability to accuratley read anything, i thought it sounded kinda dumb but thought id ask before screwing something up.... Thanks!!!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:07 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: burnt out dash lights

ORIGINAL: red94v6

Its not a real problem, just an **** retentive thing here. Its a v6 2000 firebird, and the 500 hash mark on the tach is out, it drives me nucking futs when im driving at night, i dont know why it just does....anyway....will removing the guage cluster cause accuracy problems? The lights are put in via the back of the cluster correct? so then there would be no need to remove anything on the front, plastic guard, needles, overlay ect ect.

I had someone tell me that once you disconnect a guage cluster from a car it completely loses its ability to accuratley read anything, i thought it sounded kinda dumb but thought id ask before screwing something up.... Thanks!!!
I have never had that happen. I would not let the person that told you that do it. It sounds like a personal problem.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:06 PM
2nd Gear member

Lol thanks, i knew removing the needles screwed things up but i only need to replace the lights so.... ill get on it once it warms up and i have some free time...i hate the beginning of a semester

Old 01-22-2008, 06:32 PM
2nd Gear member

it does? wow, i think i took my guages out once..
i don't remember if i disconnected them or not though.. i dont think so.
and the tach is digital isnt it? so it doesnt have lights does it?

Old 01-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: bill12690

it does? wow, i think i took my guages out once..
i don't remember if i disconnected them or not though.. i dont think so.
and the tach is digital isnt it? so it doesnt have lights does it?
The tach has lights behind the gauge. Digital? The odometer is digital, and also has a light behind it.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Overdrive Member

Hell I took the cluster out of a wrecked 97 Astro van and installed it in my mom's 84 S10 and it still works!
Oh and plus assuming it uses the same lights they are tinny little SOB's in there. Not the good old 194 push in bulbs.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Overdrive Member

Nah, his should have the 194s. Only tiny bulbs I believe are the LEDs for the warning lamps. Though the tiny ones are a pain.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:56 PM
2nd Gear member

So then this is the ungodly difficult task its been made out to be? I shoulda come to the forums first....I woulda had this done in November, before it got so damn cold out!!!

Old 01-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Overdrive Member

No, it's not bad. It took me an hour to swap out my old cluster for a Z cluster. That included light checks (did LEDs which only work one way), then reassembly and install.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: 02StanGT

Nah, his should have the 194s. Only tiny bulbs I believe are the LEDs for the warning lamps. Though the tiny ones are a pain.
Well the last thing I worked with was the 97 Astro cluster and it had no 194's at all. No LED's either Just a bunch of very small incandesent type light bulbs. Hopefully he keeps us informed as top what type of light he has in his 2000 Firebird

Quick Reply: burnt out dash lights