General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Arrgh! Car won't start and it not the battery :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008 | 11:12 AM
|
April 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Arrgh! Car won't start and it not the battery :(

Well I am not to technically inclined in this area but,

Yesterday the car ran fine, its not the battery as all the lights come on and stereo...just fine. The guage reads the power is good. Nothing however happens when I engage the clutch and turn the key. it's as though I am trying to turn on the car without pressing in the clutch...exact same effect. No clicks or weird sounds. But about a week ago I did hear a weird click sound from forward and underneath and car didn't start....I tried it again and car started just fine.

I switch my clutch over a month ago to a Textralia. But I think it maybe the starter. Any ideas

Old 01-12-2008 | 11:54 AM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Arrgh! Car won't start and it not the battery :(

The clutch safety switch? May be called neutral safety switch, I can't remember. Anyways, it's the one that keeps the car from starting if clutch is released.

Old 01-12-2008 | 01:46 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Horn sound good and strong? You try a pump? Just because a battery show 12 volts it does not mean it has enough amps to turn the engine over. I have never worked on a fourth gen but there should be 2 places for wires going to the starter. One is the larger battery cable the other is the ignition wire. If you can get a test light on that wire have a friend hit the key and see if it gets power. If it does and you hear nothing it is most likly a Starter issue.

As alway never trust you life to a jack. Always use a stand. If you had any idea how cheap the seal in the jack was you would never trust it with your life.

Old 01-12-2008 | 05:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

That happened to me I just took the clutch switch out, hardwired it and presto no more propblem

Old 01-13-2008 | 11:27 PM
|
April 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well get this. like an hour later after posting this, I went out and it started! I didn't do anything.

yepp every one keeps saying it could be the clutch switch. However , someone did tell me it could be a passkey problem. Because it acted the same way as when the security light comes on. But then I remember that I disabled the DRL's and I think that in doing so, part of what you have to live with, doing it the easy way, is that your brake light won't come on and I "think" your security light won't either. And yes it acted the same way as though the security light was on, but wasn't.

I did test all the lights for dimming etc... and the battery seemed fine. I will do the starter test and clutch switch thing as well.