General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Alternator Issue And Me Don't Know

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 11:19 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default Alternator Issue And Me Don't Know

Ok ... Alot Of Ya'll Know I'm Newly Into Dragging ... Got A Problem Throwing Alternator Belts ... Instead Of Fighting The Issue I'm Thinking Of Just Flowing With It. Installing An Electric Water Pump And Removing The Alternator And Pulley Assembly. My Question Is ... Will A Fully Charged Battery Last Me Through A 1/4 Mile Run ? I'm Running A MSD Pro-Billet Distributor Without An Ignition Box And It Will Be The Only Drain On The Battery. I Just Don't Want To Run Out Of Juice Halfway Through The Quarter. Sick

Old 05-21-2006, 12:08 AM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Alternator Issue And Me Don't Know

i have an idea for you, this setup is not very expensive, and this will certainly solve your alternator belt situation.

http://www.blackmountainprecision.com/sb6.htm

this also frees up some horsepower because the crank pulley is smaller then stock, but the alternator and waterpump pulley size is increased. im guessing your motor has a long water pump, but they have the pulley system for all the water pump styles. they also come in entire kits with the brackets and all, i t hink it would help you a lot, im actually getting this setup soon.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:36 AM
2nd Gear member

that is sweet, the 2" belts look mean as hell also!

Old 05-21-2006, 12:50 AM
2nd Gear member

yea i was really amazed when i saw that. i would definitely go 2 inch all teh way. looks really badass. hey and SickSickSick, for you i recommend the forums on www.smokemup.com. these people really know their stuff and could help you with any question you will ever have. i have been absolutely stunned at some of the things these people have tought me.

Old 05-21-2006, 01:56 AM
3rd Gear Member

Not Sure If That Is Gonna Help My Problem Tho. The Tunnel Ram Isn't Stock Alternator Friendly. I Bought An After Market Alternator Bracket But, The Align Is Slightly Off. If I Wasn't Racing, It Would Probably Be Fine. But At High RPM's It Shreads The Belt. So If I Change Pulleys It's Still Gonna Be Out Of Line. Now I Could Probably Shim It Out With Washers And Such But, The Car Is Strickly Strip. If It's Possible To Run Under Battery Power, I Could Lose Some Motor Drag And Some Additional Weight. Alternator, Pulleys And Such. Was Thinking Of Moving The Battery To The Rear And That Would Clear My Engine Compartment Of All But Two Or Three Wires. But, On The Other Hand Them Pulleys Do Look Cool As Hell. LOL I Think I'm Fickle. Will Check Out The Forum. Thanks. Sick

Old 05-21-2006, 03:51 AM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you shouldn't have a problem running a 1/4 mile pass on the battery.we run all night on the battery in our dirt tracker without charging the battery.charge the battery before you head to the track and you shouldn't have a problem.take the charger and charge the battery between run's if you have any doubt.on a normal night of dirt racing we average about 2.5-3.0 hours on the battery and start the car 4-5 times and never had a low battery issue.hope this helps.my 78 camaro street car is also throwing the belt's at high rpm's.the alternator is my issue,off just a hair.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:55 PM
Tech Droid

As bowtie mantioned, your battery should do fine, but you can always bring an extra one along for insurance, and next time you buy one get a deep cycle marine battery. There are also special batteries made for drag racing with no alternator that put out 16 Volts. But with these you need to get a 16 Volt battery charger. As far as I can remember Chevy always had a problem keeping belts on, and on some models the factory went to extra deep pulleys. Summit sells a deep groove pulley for GM alternators for about $20. Onother cause is having a belt that is too thin allowing the narrow end of the belt hits the bottom of the V in the pulley. When this happens the belt twists and eventually flies off. But then again, you can put on Vertex magneto and forget all about that silly electrical stuff, LOL.

Old 05-21-2006, 01:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

Thanks For The Replys All. My Mind Says Yes To The Mag My Wifes Wallet Says NO ... LOL. One More Thing ... And It Probably Doesn't Really Matter I Guess But Would Ya'll Go With An Electric Pump Or An Electric Pump Drive? The Pump I Can Get Used On Ebay For About The Price Of A Brand New Drive From Summit. Sick