General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

9176 Vettaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 12:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok so I've had some time to think about it. Replace your battery and terminals, I would opt for a good optima battery, and make sure everything with the cables are fine. If it's the cables themselves melting you need to check your grounds, that could cause heat to build up there. I don't know if the battery on the 3rd gens is top post or side post, but if it's a top post battery make sure the hood isn't hitting the terminals. Have the alternator checked to make sure it has a good core and isn't overcharging the battery as well. when you replace the terminals make sure they are tight as that will cause arcing and possibly weld them to the battery. As for the way it runs in general, replace the fuel filter, and run some injector cleaner. Also, try recleaning the IAT sensor with good throttle body cleaner. I think the WD-40 may have gunked up in the screen and caused it to clog up. Try all of those and get back to me. In America all of that would run about $250. Not sure of the price in Dubai.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks, I will try to see if I can find throttle body cleaner here. I know for a fact that you can not get Optima batteries. You can only get ACDelco over here. It is odd though because it is a new battery. I will also change the fuel filter but do you know which fuse I have to pull to do so? Also what else would I have to do as a precaution to changing the fuel filter? I read somewhere that when changing a fuel filter you have to change washers or something like that? Thanks for all of your help so far.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:58 PM
1st Gear Member

It should come with new crush washers in the box with the new fuel filter, just make sure that when you tighten the nut/bolt down it's where you want it. These washers are in every way one trick ponies. I've never had to pull a fuse to change the fuel filter, but I've also been working on completely different cars. I'd look into that on google. The main reason I'm saying replace the battery is to make sure it isn't busted or maybe has a bad cell. I'd go for changing the plugs and wires while I was at it, the better you can make the car run while it will, the better chance you have of finding out exactly what's wrong. I'd go with the ACDelco rapid fire plugs and ACDelco wires. That's chevrolet's brand. A new K&N filter couldn't hurt either. I don't want you to burn a hole in your pocket on this one, but with the dust there, I wouldn't run a standard paper filter in anything I drive. Lastly, don't forget the injector cleaner. I don't know how long its been sitting, this will blow all the crud out of your injectors.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I don't remember any crush washer on the filter when I did my 91. Both ends of the filter had flare fittings.
And the reason they tell you to remove the pump relay is because you're supposed to run the engine with the pump off until the engine kills.
That relieves fuel pressure in the system so you don't get soaked with gas when you crack the lines open on the filter.
I did it the "easy" (lazy) way and just caught whatever gas ran out in a container.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:42 AM
1st Gear Member

^^ there ya go, problem solved.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks a lot guys. I have a couple fuel filters still in the box from NAPA and ACDelco but I couldn't see any washers or anything like that just the filter itself. I got a K&N filter but have been having problems http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tb...aner-swap.html I just put new ACDelco spark plugs in and distributer cap/rotar. I am in the process of putting on some MSD Streetfire plug wires on. Thanks again for the help guys.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:39 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd say use the ACDelco fuel filter, it's chevy's brand. did you reclean the IAT sensor yet?

Old 05-12-2009, 05:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by SSV6
I'd say use the ACDelco fuel filter, it's chevy's brand. did you reclean the IAT sensor yet?
Thanks man, I did not reclean yet because I am still looking for TBI cleaner. I for sure don't have washers or anything wilth the filter should I just change it anyway?

Old 05-12-2009, 07:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
I don't remember any crush washer on the filter when I did my 91. Both ends of the filter had flare fittings.
And the reason they tell you to remove the pump relay is because you're supposed to run the engine with the pump off until the engine kills.
That relieves fuel pressure in the system so you don't get soaked with gas when you crack the lines open on the filter.
I did it the "easy" (lazy) way and just caught whatever gas ran out in a container.
^^ I'd say no

Old 05-19-2009, 11:40 AM
1st Gear Member

bump, just wanna follow up and see if it's running now.