General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

89 Camaro 2.8 Acceleration problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: 89 Camaro 2.8 Acceleration problem

1986 sport coupe, 2.8 mpfi, auto, 100% stock, new transmission and exhaust and starterif that helps. I know the cat isnt clogged, i checked it. The fuel economy is that in get to work and back mode, and it changes a lot with my weekly mileage and driving manor staying the same. if i beat on it its even lower. The check engine light only comes on when it cant read the EGR system, it also has that code. I know that needs to be fixed. The vaccum lines were leaking so i capped them off.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:32 PM

Update-
Well I drove the car to Midas because it was close and I didn't want to pay for a tow to the dealership. Big mistake! They had it for a week and came to the determination(after I e-mailed corporate) that the "heads are bad. You aren't getting compression in all cylinders". " You need a new engine." Needless to say I paid nothing for this opinion.So I had it towed to the dealership were I have been going for cars and service for 12 years.
Two days later they called and said the ECM is bad so they had to diagnose the car manually. They determined it to be a bad fuel pump. All they told my wife was that it had low pressure. Of course when I called back, the tech that worked on it wasn't there and no one knew what the pressure actually was. Everyone I have talked to about this all agree it has to be an ignition or sensor problem. The car did not become unsafe to drive until after I changed the Cap and rotor button. Bottom line- for an ECM, fuel pump and lines----$1957.08 plus tax. Pass. I was going to just sell it or donate it to Goodwill, but I think I will get it towed to my brothers house. He has a garage, and the tools to work on it. That and his neighbor is a mechanic who also has had several camaros. If I ever get to the bottom of it I will post up. In the mean time thanks for the advice and good words.
Any other thoughts, please chime in.
Later

Old 10-05-2007, 07:55 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well did meinike even test your compression? if they did, and they said it was low, they were either trying to scam you really really bad OR you DO need a new engine. I dont know about this 2.8 mpfi system that well yet but if you have low cylinder pressure, that would be bad

Old 10-09-2007, 06:54 PM

i don't know how they concluded the heads are bad. They called at 8:15am, they open at 8:00am. So I am to believe that between 8 and 8:15 they were able to determine my heads were bad. If they knew this the night before they would have called. I think the e-mail I sent to the regional manager may have played a role. The dealership never said a word about the heads and I did not tell them Midas found them to be bad.
Anyway- I had it towed to my brother's house. His neighbor and he hooked up his diagnostic reader and determined the computer is indeed bad.
I am planning to buy a reman computer @ $80.00, see what that gets me.
Hopefully that will either cure it or at least give me more info on what else is wrong.

Old 10-10-2007, 11:10 PM

Hello, you stated that the car ran OK before you replaced the cap and rotor. So let's start there. I would inspect the parts, make sure they were installed correctly, meaningcheck the timing as well. On many dist. rotors it is possible.......... to get the damn thinga 180 degrees off. causing a no start situation, like you're describing. A lot more info is needed to allow me to properly assist in diagnosing your concern. Also you're 1986 computer diagnosis in primitive at least, but if you come to the conclusion it ISyour computer, which i don't believe it is, if you're injectors and spark plugs are firing, thenyou probably also need the EPROM. which are pretty much year, make,mode,l motor,options, color, etc...HAHA j/k, specific. In other words it'll be damn difficult to get a used one to match up. But can be ordered from many factory parts distributors, more often than not if it is a computer related issue, it is not the computer at fault, but the EPROM programming. Good luck