General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

305 to 350 disributer, ignition prob

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 305 to 350 disributer, ignition prob

Hey guys, I have finally got the 350 in my 92 to turn over, It won't fire. Where should I start testing? Background... Swapping a 305 for a built 350 in a 92 camaro 5 speed manual. It turns over plenty fast, I have turned the distributer while cranking, Originally it was backfireing badly. I had the distributer 180 out. I fixed that and it cranks fine. Are there any sensors that I might have missed? I can tell you the temp sensor, and oil pressure sensors didn't bolt up in my swap, so they are not hooked up to anything. Any emissions sensors that will keep a car from starting if they aren't hooked up. I am going from a TBI to a carb. So there are a couple connectors from the old TBI setup, that arent hooked to anything. do I need to short any of them out to make a circuit open or close repectively. I am willing to try anything, so throw out some ideas. I have an appointment to take it to a dealership in 2 days, and I know they will rape me.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Default RE: 305 to 350 disributer, ignition prob

What did you wind up doing for your fuel supply system? Have you looked down the carb and pumped the throttle to see if you're getting gas to it?

Old 10-30-2007, 01:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

yup, it is flowing freely. It is regulated to 7 psi. with a Holley regulator

Old 10-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

What distributor are you using? Sorry, but I have to ask, are you sure you have the rotor pointing to the #1 terminal on the cap when the #1 cylinder is up on the compression stroke, and that your plug wires aren't crossed?

Old 10-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Overdrive Member

I would like to know what distributer you are using also. You are missing computer items and using the stock dizzy?

Old 10-30-2007, 11:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Hey, yeah I am using the stock dizzy, I know I know I should drop another hundred and get it upgraded, but I am having so many probs with this one, I am using the one from the 305... Is that my prob?? The number one terminal on the cap isn't marked, I am just trying to go from what a couple locals have advised me to do. I know I had the number one cylinder at TDC. I felt the compression release. I put the dizzy in and it only fit in 2 places one was 180 from the other. The sparking part of the rotor was pointed at the steering wheel, or my front passenger fender. I tried both, and no dice. Now I am getting serious backpressure buildup out the carb. sounds like a 22 going off. but no flame. Is the 305Dizzy my prob?

Old 10-31-2007, 12:44 AM
Overdrive Member

First off number1 on the dizzy generaly points to the #1 cylinder. You can put it where ever you want as long as you start number one there but its just common to have it the other way.
Second. I know I have seen earlier HEIs run without a computer on stock carbed motors but I do not know about later with fuel injection.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
That price is not so bad. It is the larger style with the coil in the cap but that is what was in the early 3rd gens with carbs. Just this one is non computer controled.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:09 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Whether you're trying toget this distributor or an aftermarket one to work, you need to have the rotorpointing to the #1 cyl.TDC compression stroke, butit sounds like it isn't there. There's a reason why you could only get it to go in one way or 180 degrees opposite. If you want the distributor in a specific location, you need to turn the oil pump shaft to a different position. At the base of the dist. is a cross pin that fits into the slot of the oil pump shaft. Stick a long screwdriver down the dist. hole and drop it in the slot of the pump shaft and give it a slight turn (by as much as you would want to rotate the dist.). But if you're fine where the dist.fits now, leave it in and find your #1 compression stroke like you did before, and get the timing mark on the balancer to where it's nearing TDC. Put a reference mark on the sideof the distributor,where the rotor is now pointing. Install the cap and put your #1 wire on the terminal that lines up with that mark. You may need to rotate the dist. a little to get the rotor and #1 wire to line up closer.Continue around the cap clockwise for the remaining wires following the 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 firing order. Good luck, I'll be listening for the rumble!

Old 10-31-2007, 08:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I will try this this evening! What causes the backfiring through the carb? is it just the imense pressuse from the cylinder and the unburnt fuel? I thought the pressure would go out the exhaust hence backfire.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:02 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Your timing is off. A common cause for a backfire through the carb is from the timing being too far advanced. The spark plugs are firing before the intake valves can close completely, causing the fuel in the intake to ignite and the flame will travel back up the intake manifold and out the carb. Technically, a pop out the exhaust isn't a backfire, but it's an afterfire where unspent fuel ignites on the exhaust side.

Quick Reply: 305 to 350 disributer, ignition prob