General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Default RE: 2 questions

As for the '71, a quick valve lash check wouldn't hurt to make sure you're not getting any float

Old 10-08-2007, 12:33 AM
Overdrive Member

Kurt I am not the one that started a big stink about who may be smarter. I asked a question that you did not read correctly. You don't like my response to your dumb answer, you should just get over it. You certainly did not need to try and stump me. And I am not trying to impress any one with a bit of trivia. Unlike you trying to impress people with an ASE cert. I have seen the test for them. I am not impressed at all. I consider them to be a big joke and misleading to the comsumer. And I am sorry to tell you but I have a 4 bolt without the top hole. Better luck next time

Old 10-09-2007, 07:51 PM
2nd Gear member

then my statement still stands, as you know gm did few things that didnt have exceptions but i have yet to see a 010 block with a tapped hole that isnt a four bolt, no where did i state that if its blank its two or four. so as my original statment said this is a sure way to tell externaly if you have a four bolt. as for the certs well, those that cant ,dont and those who can, get paid to do it

Old 10-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: t9ojetpilot

then my statement still stands, as you know gm did few things that didnt have exceptions but i have yet to see a 010 block with a tapped hole that isnt a four bolt, no where did i state that if its blank its two or four. so as my original statment said this is a sure way to tell externaly if you have a four bolt. as for the certs well, those that cant ,dont and those who can, get paid to do it
I am sure there are many things you have not seen but that does not mean they do not exist just because you have not seen them.
And before I had to close the doors on My shop due to heart failure. I got paid, and paid well to do it

Old 10-11-2007, 01:15 PM

ORIGINAL: t9ojetpilot

[&:] dave component matching is important in all motors especially in auto trans cause you cant just slip the clutch and feather the gas to keep her runnin and cleared out. what size is the exhaust and how is it configured?? also what brand is the carb and what numbers are on it?? from the info provided so far this engine should really be wanting to scream at 4 grand and above. will it rev to 5-6 k allright with no load?? is the fuel pump electric or mechanical?? fuel filter been checked lately?? looks like you have a fuel pressure gauge by the carb?? if you rev it to 6k real quick what happens to the pressure, also what pressure are you running it at?? i really dont suspect tranny or engine internals as the source of your problem
the car revs fine to 6k with no load. the idle fuel pressure is 6 and stays there all the way up tp 6k. it is an elec pump. it is a 750 holley carb with a mech secondary. i havent checked the filter but is it safe to say its clean if i have good pressure up to 6k?

Old 10-11-2007, 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Tonniges Chevrolet

As for the '71, a quick valve lash check wouldn't hurt to make sure you're not getting any float
can you explain that to me? my love for cars exceeds my knowledge by a mile.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:53 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the valves get to a point where they are opening and closing so fast that they are opened at the same time,that is what floating the valves is.basically to weak of a spring or the pressures are not right on the valves

Old 10-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Overdrive Member

Bowtieguy is right. If you engine is not built fo it you should not be going around 6000rpm. That is reaching the point where your pistons are going faster than your valves can close. Ducati uses what the call Desmodromics. A rocker arm to open and a rocker arm to close, no springs. So with that you get zero float.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:04 PM

i c. if that is the case, shouldnt the car up shift into 3rd. what happens is it downs to 2nd and never gets high enough to go back to 3rd.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:23 AM

c'mon guys dont leave me hangin [sm=helpout.gif][sm=thanx.gif]

Quick Reply: 2 questions