General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 Camaro Z28 stalls while coasting

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Default 1994 Camaro Z28 stalls while coasting

I have a 1994 Camaro Z28 with stock automatic trans that will stall in any gear when coasting. At 75 MPH in Overdrive it will stall if I'm not on the gas. If I manually shift down to Drive, it will not stall until I hit 50 MPH or less. If I manually shift down to 2nd, it will not stall until I hit 0 MPH. It will never stall in Neutral. It does not stall every time, but will stall more frequently the farther I drive. The stalling begins at around the 40 mile mark. After 75 miles, it will begin to stall even from a dead stop at a green light. It will always re-start if I shift to neutral and turn the key. It all began just after 400 miles on a trans re-build. The trans guy replaced the lock-out switch, and it was fine for another 400 miles and began again. He swears it has nothing to do with the trans. I replaced the fuel filter. Anybody have this happen to them?

Old 07-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

While reading your story, it was sounding like it could be a lockup issue (not unlocking). I would try driving the car around with the shifter in 3rd gear and see if you still have stalling problems.
If not, then the trans must be dragging the engine down while in o/d.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:50 AM

Thank you Camaro 69. As I stated, it does stall in third gear. It stalls in all gears except neutral. The lock-up switch was changed out, and it still does it.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

So you did. You might want to check your Idle Air Control (IAC) then, it might be acting up.
http://shbox.com/1/iac2.jpg
http://www.shbox.com/1/iac3.jpg

Old 07-08-2010, 10:31 AM

Thanks again. It's not the IAC either. Already checked that.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Avati
It all began just after 400 miles on a trans re-build. The trans guy replaced the lock-out switch, and it was fine for another 400 miles and began again. He swears it has nothing to do with the trans. I replaced the fuel filter. Anybody have this happen to them?
That's what you get for only taking the 399 mile warranty!
The part in bold makes me say hmmmmmm.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:52 AM

could it be the converter?? i dont know much about automatic transmissions but from what i can under stand a covert thats too tight might do that...but then again i dont have a clue what im saying..im interested in how this turns out i love to learn new things

Old 07-09-2010, 03:27 PM

The car is at my regular mechanics' shop now, and he agrees that it could not be the lock-up switch. My brother-in-law works at the chevy dealership in Abeline Texas, and the concensus in his shop is the fuel sock at the fuel pump in the tank. They think it is collapsing when I let off the gas due to lack of pressure. What do you think?

Old 07-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The pickup sock theory makes no sense to me.
The fuel pump pulls gas through the pickup sock, which is resting at the bottom of the tank. If it was collapsing, it would be from the pump trying to pull through a clogged sock. That could happen, but you would be experiencing fuel starvation at the higher rpm's when the engine needs more fuel.
But, all that is moot anyway since the fuel pump runs at a consistent rate no matter how fast or slow the engine is running. Any unused fuel gets bypassed at the regulator and returns to the tank.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Tech Droid

Originally Posted by Avati
The car is at my regular mechanics' shop now, and he agrees that it could not be the lock-up switch. My brother-in-law works at the chevy dealership in Abeline Texas, and the concensus in his shop is the fuel sock at the fuel pump in the tank. They think it is collapsing when I let off the gas due to lack of pressure. What do you think?
Not to bad mouth your relatives, but the fuel sock idea makes no sense. Before coming to a stop, place the selector in Neutral. If the engine still stalls, it is not the TCC, but if the engine stays running, it is a pretty good chance that the TCC is not releasing or that the transmission is screwed up and trying to engage more than one gear at the time (binding). This could be due to the shift solenoids or a short in the control wiring harness. The TCC is supposed to release whenever the brakes are applied and the only thing remaining to connect the engine to the transmission is the torque converter, and the engine should not stall.

To check if the TCC is relasing when the brakes are applied:
1) Get engine to operating temp
2) Drive on a straight & level road at a constant 50-60 MPH (steady on the gas)
3) While maintaining steady throttle, lightly touch the brake pedal, and observe the RPM on the tach. The TCC should release and there should be a slight incrase in RPM.
4) Release the brakes, and maintain the same road speed, the TCC should re-engage and the RPM should drop slightly.

Last edited by z28pete; 07-09-2010 at 05:41 PM.

Quick Reply: 1994 Camaro Z28 stalls while coasting