General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

Racing ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Default Racing ?

What does it take to make a camaro do a wheele when racing?

how much hp do you think it takes

is there anything else special needed

Old 09-04-2006, 04:52 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Racing ?

to raise the front in and not rip it apart approximately $20,000 or more cash LOL. you would need somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 hp launching from a transbrake, with 15 inch slicks, very high stall, suspension out the ying yang, and enough ***** not to back off. Sick

Old 09-04-2006, 05:20 PM
2nd Gear member

well, i know someone who does wheelies all the time, but his 1/4 mile is horrible. all he did was put in a 4.55 rear in his car with chains connecting his front tires with his chassis, and well over 500 hp/800 ftlbstq he has a motor from a 4 axle dump truck, not sure all the other stuff he has done but thats a basic figure

Old 09-04-2006, 05:46 PM

would a camaro with 600ish whp, 373 gears, 5200 rpm stall converter, and nice and stickey mickey thompsons be able to?

Old 09-04-2006, 06:55 PM
4th Gear Member

I think some of you guys are way off base here. My car has a little less than 400 rwhp and it almost pulls the wheels with the heavy stock wheels and a 17 inch tire. Pulling the front wheels is more about suspension set up than anything. FWIW pulling the wheels and running a slow 1/4 time is not really all that cool, you should be worring about getting the set right than if it can "do a wheelie". Unless you are trying to impress the high school kids.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Tech Droid

When you pull a wheeley the power is wastet in lifting the front end of the car off the ground instead of using it to move the car forward. A 6000 HP fuel dragster on a good run may lift the left front wheel about 1" to 2" for only the first 50-60 ft. All the power is used to move the car forward.

Another example is a Pro Stock car, they harldly lift a wheel while pulling under 7 second ET's.

But if you really want to pull a wheeley, just put on a set of slicks, 1000 lb ballast at the rear of the trunk, 5.12 rear end gears, and remove the front shocks. 300 HP should be more than adequate. Won't be very fast. but the front wheels will come off the ground. LOL

Old 09-05-2006, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Or you could use fast acting pneumatics. Wont even have to upgrade your horsepower. But that wouldn't be fun. Or cool.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:26 AM

I am not looking to do just wheelies, I want to run fast as well. I just think that it would be cool if i could get the car to lift a little off the line, not enough to hit the back bumper or anything, i just was wondering if i could. and i didnt want to wait until my new engine/setup is in to find out, but if i do lift off the ground i will keep you posted

Old 09-05-2006, 12:28 PM
3rd Gear Member

Chassis work, A set of longer front springs ( Moroso ) 90-10 shocks, Traction bars, 50-50 rear shocks, Slicks, 4.56 - 1 or lower
( Higher numerically ) gears and about 450+ horsepower with a high stall converter ( Automatic with trans brake ) or 4000+ RPM launch will do just great. Be careful because if You don't control the front end travel, it could stand on the back bumper.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:12 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: z28pete

When you pull a wheeley the power is wastet in lifting the front end of the car off the ground instead of using it to move the car forward. A 6000 HP fuel dragster on a good run may lift the left front wheel about 1" to 2" for only the first 50-60 ft. All the power is used to move the car forward.

Another example is a Pro Stock car, they harldly lift a wheel while pulling under 7 second ET's.

But if you really want to pull a wheeley, just put on a set of slicks, 1000 lb ballast at the rear of the trunk, 5.12 rear end gears, and remove the front shocks. 300 HP should be more than adequate. Won't be very fast. but the front wheels will come off the ground. LOL
You obviously don't understand the dynamics of a drag race suspension as many of these statements are just wrong.

Most (but not all) cars that pull the front tires on the launch are utilizing center of gravity, wheel thrust, pitch rotation and other laws of physics to keep the tires planted to the pavment and prevent a loss of traction. Without going into a long seminar, the rear end is actually rotating away from the body to plant the tires. Other forces are trying to prevent this from happening, but in a nutshell, there are those that figured out long ago to drive the rear end forward along that arc. Weight transfer pulls the front end up and the rear is trying drive underneath the car. While the front is up, it puts more downforce (so to speak) on the rear end, hence more traction. The minimal amount of time the car is in the air is very negligible in lost E.T. The loss of traction WILL impact your E.T. and whether you win or not.

On a Prostock car, wheelie bars introduce a completely different variable to the equation. They duplicate the same kind of physics, but in the back of the car. The front tries to lift and the wheelie bars counter act that movement and put the "downforce" or weight on the rear tires. And yes, pulling a wheelie to them is wasted E.T., but not wasted power. Those cars are so aerodynamically "slick" that they need to stay down. .003 can make or break a win light.

Yes power on a Fuel Car is used to move the car forward, but then wouldn't that be the case on ANY car? On a good run the wheels won't come off the ground at all and you will see the front of the dragster chassis bow in an upward arc. That "bow" will essentially create more force on the rear tires to keep them planted since Fuel cars don't have a suspension. Think of it as a bow from a bow and arrow. Where is all of the energy to make that arrow fly? In the stored energy of the arc in the bow. Oh, and by the way, if a Fuel car pulled a wheelie, it would flip over backwards. On a 1500lb car that is already doing a 100MPH in the first 60 feet, do the math if the front of the car is even 1 foot off the ground.

The car below makes only 440 (flywheel) HP has a 53/47% front to rear weight ratio and only has a battery and fuel tank in the rear for ballast. It carries the front out about 35-40 feet and needs to. It only has a 9" tire in the back and those stock suspensions are unforgiving if not set up right.

It all comes down to proper set up. And having some of the right parts. Dave Morgan has a book out on all of the inner workings of suspension and proper set up. It's a good read for anyone trying to understand how to make their car "HOOK"

RM

[IMG]local://upfiles/4478/1ECE60733BAE4415980FEB52890A2A62.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Racing ?