Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   General Racing/Tech (https://camaroforums.com/forum/general-racing-tech-88/)
-   -   First "toy" (https://camaroforums.com/forum/general-racing-tech-88/first-toy-80355/)

speedemon 08-08-2016 05:28 PM

First "toy"

Hi,

I am a middle income earner in CA looking to get my first "weekend toy" (auto crossing, mtn road carving, track days) Camaro. My cap is prob. $15k, which will get me into a prepared 3rd or 4th gen, and hi mile 5th gen.

Any suggestions on which Camaro to hunt for?:icon_rally:

Thanks!

craby 08-09-2016 02:37 PM

go test drive a 5th gen. you know a little about the 4th gen.

speedemon 08-12-2016 09:34 AM

thanks! a coworker has '10 or '11

speedemon 08-23-2016 04:42 PM

Another advice inquiry.

While there is a lot of economy in buying a "done" track car, is there an argument for buying a "stock" car and modifying it as my skills increase (other than overcooking it and looking stupid!)?

Thanks!

bruce69camaro 09-29-2016 10:54 AM

There's no problem in doing that at all.

Just first come up with a plan and try to stick to that plan.

Buy what you can, when you can and remember one thing, have fun doing it.

Half of the fun is learning and watching yourself progress and the other half is wrenching.

craby 09-29-2016 03:11 PM

hay i look stupid all the time,,, and overcook about everything,,, dont bother me,,, lol.

Y2K 10-09-2016 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by bruce69camaro (Post 714710)
There's no problem in doing that at all.

Just first come up with a plan and try to stick to that plan.

Buy what you can, when you can and remember one thing, have fun doing it.

Half of the fun is learning and watching yourself progress and the other half is wrenching.

I agree but will ad to start with the parts that typically break when you add lots more horsepower and torque to them, Get your beefed up rear end with the gears you want and build up other parts......clutch,driveline,trans etc. You'll save a lot of headaches and heartaches over started with a big engine build and the breaking lots of stuff along the way. Blowing an axle out at the dragstrip for instance can cause a lot of damage to the car or even total loss. :icon_emm:

Camaro 69 10-09-2016 11:34 AM

Quarter panel removal the easy way, lol

95 camaro 406 10-16-2016 02:54 PM

forgot to tighten the lugs down i guess the way the tire came off hehehehe,there are many pro street cars out there for that money ,but your not getting much for 15k unless the person needs the money to pay there morgage,high miles 5th gen yup ,seen a 2013 ss sell on ebay for 15k with 51k on the car it was $15500.00 actually ,they wanted to pay the car off ,auctions can be the best way to get a nice car ,as long as the res is low ,local auctions too ,but they can be tough couse one does get much of chance to check out the cars ,got few friends do well at the auctions ,

speedemon 10-20-2016 01:31 PM

Thanks for the replies! I have settled on buying someone's race car, and putting the lights, bumpers and smog gear on it.