General Racing/Tech General talk about Racing or help setting up your car

Aluminum Heads?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Aluminum Heads?

I'm at the point, where I need to choose between street/strip and just strip. The reason being, If I have a street car, its going to be drivable on the street, not just legal. To start off, I am building my car as a race car. Right now, i have cast heads (With enlarged valves and ported) with 9.75-1 compression, that'll run mid 13's easy, as soon as I get my traction bars. I ran a 14.09 with MASSIVE tire hop and spin without the bars. Plus, that run I got off the throttle at the far end because my engine was trying to rev past 6 grand(4.56 gears dosent work with my setup [&:]). Better safe then sorry.
Erm, Basically I'm thinking about getting some high compression aluminum heads, which will make it not run on pump gas anymore. I think 550+ hp would be worth driving a different car as a daily driver The only thing is, I would seriously miss street racing lol. Dont get me wrong, I would much rather go to the track, but, just cruising around in a car like mine is totally different.

I want to know what you guys would do in a situation like this. If you had the chance to make your own car really fast, but could only drag it, or just have it how it is. what would you do?

Old 05-13-2008, 06:40 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: Aluminum Heads?

I'd get aluminum heads and go to the max compression I could on the street, which would be noticeably more than with your iron heads. Depending on the ignition/carburation orengine computer if you have modern EFI, i might go really high compression and accept really retarding timing, octane boosters, running on race gas, etc., on the street, so as not to lose the ability to cruise. For a while several years ago I had to run on the street with $4.25/gallon racegas (back when normal premium was $2.25). It was worth it.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:44 PM
4th Gear Member

I had over 11:1 in my Nova and it ran fine on 93 octane. Aluminium heads let you run more compression and still be safe, esp if you have a cam with a bunch of overlap. In any case, if *I* were to make a strickly drag race car it would have to run in the 9's or better for *ME* to be entertained by it. I see no reason why you could not have a 10.5:1 motor and keep it running on 93. The answer to faster times with your car is to get your combination sorted out, your car seems all mis-matched right now. A strong mid compression stroker small block with good heads will make 500 hp pretty easy and still be streetable.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

My origional plan was to rebuild the stock 350 and put it in my camaro as soon as I bought a rolling altered-roadster to put my 383 in. I was going to get alum. heads and all that jazz, but, that 2nd gen really grew on me! lol I want to keep it fast.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 AM
3rd Gear Member

To have a car that's able to run like a beast at the track and also run on the streets is what I'd be looking for. Think about it!! You run 10's at the track and anyone who was there and happends to see you on the street will show you some major respect. All thenorm racerswith 13-15 seconds cars will think twice about racing you and only the idiots will try. Just tosee you coming down the street and point at your car saying "that guy is f@#$ fast! Don't mess with him."

Old 05-14-2008, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Good point, but remember, to the average person, they will think that if your car sounds good. The racers'll know, but sounding good is half the battle. weird as it is. At the track, there was an evo that ran 11's, but it didn't sound like it would (Not to me anyways, I'm a cam guy) On the street, I wouldn't take him for that fast. Check out this vid, it has a mid 9's evo vs a 'stang (I think lol)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hlSF...eature=related

Now, here comes my point.
The video at the end of this paragraph is of an 8 second evo. If I saw this one on the street, I would have a different impression. I'm just pointing out that looks alone can make you look fast. If you had a 9 second camaro that looked completely stock, vs a 13 second camaro that was shackled up with slicks, a 6' cowl hood and a roll cage, you would have a tottaly different view as to the outcome of the race. But, Dont think I'm disregarding your point. If I knew it was the same evo, and i saw him on the street, I would back off haha. But, then theres people that dont know. 'bout to be killed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvfJG...eature=related