Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

WTF

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006 | 09:24 PM
|
Default WTF

i have a 78 z28 with a 350 in it
with HEI ignition (no contact points)

and i have run into an odd problem causing me to raze the question, WTF?[:@]
i replaced the distributor vacuum advance, cap and rotor and now the car will
not start and i dont get any spark. im pretty damn sure its put together properly.
and the "tests" i've done on the coil r telling me the coil is functioning properly.
so if anyone has any idea on why my car wont start (or some tests i can do to figure it out).
i would really really appreciate it.

thanks

Old 10-15-2006 | 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: WTF

could be a number of things
did the new cap come with new screws to hold down the coil, and if so did you use them. some need shorter screws
did you install the little carbon tip and spring under the coil
did you install the ground strap that goes from the screw that holds the coil down to where the wires plug into the cap
did you install the rotor on the right way, there is a notch on one side, its easy to get it backwards
did you put the wires on the right side, one is the power and one is for the tack and the cap is marked so you will know which wire goes where
you sure you didnt unplug the pick up when you installed the vac advance
did you install the plug wires in the same position on the new cap as they were on the old one, that is also easy to get mixed up

hope that gives you some help

Old 10-15-2006 | 11:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

Did you put the distributor back the same way it came out? If not, the timing could be to an extreme?

Old 02-03-2007 | 12:08 AM
|

turns out one of the wires on the old pole piece inner coil type devicewas snapped i replaced that and now she purrs and will go above 2500rpm before she couldnt but now boy howdy.