Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

what do you think about this cam ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Default what do you think about this cam ?

Thumpr™, 283THR7
Choppy Idle, High Performance Street

it's a comp cams cam anybody have it ?
if not any opinions on it ?

Last edited by freaky; 03-17-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by freaky
Thumpr™, 283THR7
Choppy Idle, High Performance Street

it's a comp cams cam anybody have it ?
if not any opinions on it ?
it's a cam! my opinion is that it's a cam! if you want to ask our opinions on whether it would be a GOOD cam for you, I'd suggest telling us a little about your car. what transmission do you have? what stall speed are you going with? what cylinder heads are you going with? what compression ratio does/will the engine have? rear end gears? what is the cars main usage? daily driver? street strip/weekend fun kinda thing? I mean it's a good cam, but it depends on what you are going for and what your application is. If you are going for a weekend ride or a street strip deal then this cam is good for that kinda thing, I'd suggest using at least 9.5:1 compression (you could get away with less, but i'd run more) a 2400-3000rpm stall speed if you have an automatic, and I'd go with 3.42 or lower gears. (but that's just me "IMHO" as it were) also make sure you have some decently good aftermarket heads. I mean what's the point of putting a big cam in something and run stock heads? you know? anyway that's my opinion.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

BTW those thumper series cams are designed to SOUND good, not necessarily perform good, it'll sound thumpy and idle rough and sound like a drag car, but if you are going for streetability or want the thing to make REAL good power, get something from the extreme energy series of cams. I'd get something with about the same duration but a wider lsa (i think all the XE cams have 110 lsa)

Old 03-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If it's for the engine in your sig, that cam isn't right for you. Depending on which grind you go with, the operating range falls somewhere between +/- 2,000-6,000 rpm. Due to the restrictive heads, the 305 pretty much falls on it's face beyond 4,000 rpm. The thumpr cam would end up being for show (sound), not performance.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:08 PM
1st Gear Member

i just run accross the add just wondering about it .

Old 03-19-2010, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I was going to use a Comp Cams Xterme Energy series hydraulic flat tappet cam. After talking to my machinist and reading a lot negative things on them such as being excessively noisy for hydraulic flat tappet cam and Comp Cams have higher then usual warranty issues with them I went with a Lunati cam instead.

As mitchell said, the Thumper series cams are more for sound then performance.