Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

sputtering when i turn 84 camaro off

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default sputtering when i turn 84 camaro off

I get sputtering when i turn my car off. it happens almost all of the time. my step dad told me i need to adjust my timing is there anything else that could cause that.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:57 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Could be timing, I would check that. Could also be if the engine has a lot of miles with carbon build up on the pistons or in the heads causing hot spots. Do you have a belt driven radiator fan, or an electric one that's hot-wired through a switch? If you have hot wired a fan, and it's running when you shut the engine down, it can act like a generator and back-feed power to the ignition causing run-on.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:00 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Could be timing, I would check that. Could also be if the engine has a lot of miles with carbon build up on the pistons or in the heads causing hot spots. Do you have a belt driven radiator fan, or an electric one that's hot-wired through a switch? If you have hot wired a fan, and it's running when you shut the engine down, it can act like a generator and back-feed power to the ignition causing run-on.
i do have a electric fan with a switch. lately i have been turning it off before i shut off the car and i still have the same problem.

i will try turning it of and waiting a little longer to see if that is the problem.

is there a way to remove the carbon build up if that is the problem?

Old 08-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Default carbon build up

This may seem weird but I can recall when I was about 15 and my grandpa "a former motorhead" now deceased once a year would pour a quart of transmision fliud into the carb with one hand on the throttle reving it up as he poured the tranny fluid in he told me that it gets rid of carbon. Oh and by the way dont do this in town as he did youll have someone call the fire dept. on you HEAVY WHITE SMOKE comes out of the exhaust good luck mabe someone else can confirm this home remedy.Carl

Old 08-06-2009, 09:27 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i dont think i would put trany fluid in the carb. to each his own. personally i like the blow it out way. take the car out run it hard. lol. check the timing and make sure the advance is working while u do it. if the 84 has it check and make sure the mechanical advance is working to.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
i dont think i would put trany fluid in the carb. to each his own. personally i like the blow it out way. take the car out run it hard. lol. check the timing and make sure the advance is working while u do it. if the 84 has it check and make sure the mechanical advance is working to.
i have only had the car for 2 weeks but i have run it hard already. a lot of fun coming from driving a 93 lincoln towncar.

i will have to wait for my uncle to have some time but he will help me check the timing.