Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Requirements for head and cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 06:18 AM
Default Requirements for head and cam

Hey guys. I own a 99' z28 A4 and am planning on putting in a head and cam package. I have really been looking at the one SLP offers on their website with the AFR 225cc heads and possibly a 236/236 cam or just the one that comes with the heads, I dunno. My friend said I will need to get a new throttle body and MAF. I am guessing I need to get an 80mm throttle body, but I have to piece this kit together so can I use this with the stock intake manifold? I am currently working on getting some ceramic coated pacesetter LTs. Anything else I need to take into consideration before I start making purchases? And yes, money is an object so I will get the best that I can afford.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:23 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Requirements for head and cam

You need to use the intake designed for those heads or it will all be for nothing.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:25 PM

Your best bet is to do your home work. I have 92 Z28 52mm throttle body. Its easy to put a 58mm but is it needed. The 52mm is plenty enough for streetable HP. Before you even put a wrench on your car or buy parts think about how you are realy going to drive your car. My boss had a chevell that was so cool and sounded real BAD *** but it was so over camed and geared so low it just was not easy to drive on the street and ate enough gas he had to plan gas stops a head of going anywhere. I school we all were taught For every action there is an equal and oppsit reaction. Build a high HP motor every thing has to be built for it. Torque converter,trans,drive shaft,rear end,suspension. Last [ may be not last] BRAKES go fast ya got to stop. I only say this because I have done it wrong, I didn't listen, built a motor then started to brake parts. First the rear end then the trans. almost lost my leg when the drive shaft came through the floor, my Sr year of high school in a 61 vett. All in all you can save a lot of time and money if you do your home work. Sorry about being long winded hope this might help.

Old 09-30-2006, 12:16 AM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lamanamanumi

Hey guys. I own a 99' z28 A4 and am planning on putting in a head and cam package. I have really been looking at the one SLP offers on their website with the AFR 225cc heads and possibly a 236/236 cam or just the one that comes with the heads, I dunno. My friend said I will need to get a new throttle body and MAF. I am guessing I need to get an 80mm throttle body, but I have to piece this kit together so can I use this with the stock intake manifold? I am currently working on getting some ceramic coated pacesetter LTs. Anything else I need to take into consideration before I start making purchases? And yes, money is an object so I will get the best that I can afford.
You will not need a new MAF or TB, although porting your TB will help out, even on a stock engine. You will need valve springs that are matched to your cam, the ones on the AFR heads may or may not be right for that cam, check with AFR or the cam company. You will also need better pushrods as the stockers tend to flex (and bend) with stiffer valve springs.

ORIGINAL: uncle bill

You need to use the intake designed for those heads or it will all be for nothing.
Not true on the LS1 engines, besides there are only 3 or 4 intakes for the LSx engines. Although I would recommend he put an LS6 intake on in place of the LS1 unit or if funds allow a F.A.S.T 90/90 set up but thats about another $800 or more.