Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

quick question

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 01:57 AM
Default RE: quick question

whats it really matter if it hauls *** and beats all the 500 HP drive in racers with only 300 horse sounds like a great time to me you know it all matters where you measure from (lol)

Old 05-14-2006, 05:18 PM
2nd Gear member

JD, the 250/260 is the duration at .050. i am actually looking into new heads right now. i wanted either the sportsman II's or edelbrocks performer rpm aluminum heads. i dont know whether i have flat top or dished pistons, is there an easy wawy to tell without taking the head off? anywyas edelbrock has 70cc heads and 64cc heads. would my compression be too high if put the 64cc heads on? thats jsut guessing that they are flat tops. but if i find out they are dished i will probably get the 64cc heads rather then the 70cc. i like the edelbrocks because they are aluminum one, but they are 960 dolalrs for both of them assembled, for aluminums thats not horrible. also when buying new heads, do i jsut need head gaskets? i do know of the bolt torque specs of my motor and stuff like that, but is there anything i need to buy besides head gaskets? i would be re using my rockers and pushrods.

Old 05-15-2006, 02:28 AM
Tech Droid

For anybody that cares this how Hp and Torque relate to each other.

"Theoretical" best ET and trap speed are acheived by keeping the RPM between the torque and HP peak, and be revving at the power peak on top gear just before crossing the finish line.
When on top gear the car will accelerate the fastest when the engine revs at the HP peak
When in lower gears the car will accelerate the fastest when the engine is revving at the torque peak.

A dyno does not measure HP but calculates it by measuring the torque

These formulas only work if the torque is measured in ft-lb:

HP = (torque X RPM) / 5252
torque = (HP X 5252) / RPM

Magic number -- torque = HP at 5252 RPM (use this to impress or confuse your friends, or to start an argument.)

Old 05-15-2006, 07:13 PM
2nd Gear member

an update, i am now looking for aluminum heads, with 64cc chambers, 2.02/1.6 valves, and intake runners smaller then 200cc, preferably 180cc's. and a big one is they have to cost less then a grand. i know which head gaskets to get, going with the felpro #1010's. if anyone has a link to any website that carries what im looking for. the edelbrock performer rpm's are a ncie head and all, but i have heard not the BEST things about them, basically i hear there is better for less then a grand. any help is appreciated.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:32 AM
4th Gear Member

IF those are your numbers at .50 your cam is too big for a 350, it might be a good cam for a big inch small block or a car set up for very high rpm.s. Thats really is a ton of duration for such little lift.

Old 05-21-2006, 12:25 AM
2nd Gear member

JD all i know is it is a solid lift cam from comp cams. i searched their solid lift cams and jsut picked the one with the lowest duration, because the car doesnt behave like a top rpm car. certainly getting this motor blueprinted soon because im tired of not being 100 percent sure of whats in it. when it comes to the cam i am going by what i was told, but i know its a solid lift cam from not only being told, but the noise and how i have adjust the valves from time to time. i was not told its specs such as lift and duration, but the car has a decently smooth idle so i jsut picked the lowest duration one form comp cams.

Ok well i have one final question here. im looking at these aluminum heads with 160cc intake runners, 64cc chambers, 2.02/1.6 valves, with the kidney bean shaped combustion chambers. they are the ones i am getting. as for my motor, to finish it off, i am getting these heads, #1010 felpro head gaskets, comp cams 1.52 ratio steel roller rockers, not roller tips, a cog belt drive system with smaller crank pulley, and a barry grant 650cfm. shouldnt i be pushing close to or at 400 horsepower after these upgrades? i would certainly think so, but by the way none of these mods will be done until i get an 8 point rollcage put in which is coming up soon. as for the drivetrain its getting a 3.90 rear end, and having my tranny rebuilt into a th-400 with ratchet shift, along with an aluminum driveshaft. that will finish off the drivetrain and motor and is what i am planning on keeping it at. after that interior and exterior is next. but anyways to get at the point, would i be in the upper 300 to lower 400 horsepower range? and what would you say torque would be? i would guess around 370-390.