Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default 307

hey everyone im just throwin this out here i would like as much input as i can get on it i have a 96 3.8 camaro and im tired off all these ****** bags driving srt4's thinkin they're the **** cause they're cars put down faster times so i wanna do a motor swap to put sum people where they belong but i don't wanna do a 350 cause everyone has one and im not saying that it's a bad motor by any means but i just want sumthin different and my brother has a 72 Nova with a 307 and i was just wondering what these motor are capable of doing in the 4th gens. if rebuilt with lets say heddas, cam, a decent intake, forged everything and possibly ported heads, and am also wondering how hard the actual insall will b as far as trying to get it to bolt up... its just an idea but im asking you guys cause my bro is all neg. about it tellin me no-one builds 307s to race with and stuff but i don't know

Old 08-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: 307

If you want to do small displacement do a 302 or a 327. The 307 has a narrower bore (3.875" vs 4.00" for the 302 and 327)that shrouds the valves when they open and hurts breathing. The 302 can be a screamer if built and geared properly.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:47 AM
4th Gear Member

A 307 was a dog in its day and still is one now.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:43 PM
2nd Gear member

def, it takes alot to make a 307 fast, other than nitrous i have done everything possible to mine and it runs 14s, thats not as fast as most people, including me, want. they make good boat anchors though

Old 08-19-2007, 09:09 AM
2nd Gear member

I'd think you could get more speed for your money out of modifying your 3.8 than you would with a 307. Its just not a great performance engine, and the money and effort you put into switching over to a V8 could go into a lot of power mods on the V6, or it you're going to go to that trouble, put in a V8 with really potential.

And you know, there is a reason everyone does a 350: they are just damn good engines.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member

alright thanks to all of you who gave some input on this but basically i'll tell you straight up i would like to have a mid 13 sec. car when it's all said and done and i want it to be built right but i wanna keep it within an affordable budget for a 17yr. old now i obviously know that i could get it down to a mid 13sec. car a helluva lot quick with a 350 then with a 231 but my question is will i end up spending more money buying the 350 then paying for all the parts to have it built when i could be paying for a rebuild kit for my 231 and getting the heads ported and then when i have the money a procharger or turbo charger, i'll tell ya off the bat it will be a long process which is what i want to get it done right basically i just wanna know what the cheaper way to go is and i'll tell ya now im not a real big fan of NOS cause i no people that have blown their even forged stuff up using too high of shot so so if im leaning more of towards super or turbo chargers

Old 08-20-2007, 01:20 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: purpl96

alright thanks to all of you who gave some input on this but basically i'll tell you straight up i would like to have a mid 13 sec. car when it's all said and done and i want it to be built right but i wanna keep it within an affordable budget for a 17yr. old now i obviously know that i could get it down to a mid 13sec. car a helluva lot quick with a 350 then with a 231 but my question is will i end up spending more money buying the 350 then paying for all the parts to have it built when i could be paying for a rebuild kit for my 231 and getting the heads ported and then when i have the money a procharger or turbo charger, i'll tell ya off the bat it will be a long process which is what i want to get it done right basically i just wanna know what the cheaper way to go is and i'll tell ya now im not a real big fan of NOS cause i no people that have blown their even forged stuff up using too high of shot so so if im leaning more of towards super or turbo chargers
You can blow up an engine with too much boost as well. I'm glad I'm not your English teacher

Old 08-20-2007, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

wow ok who writes on a forum like their typing up a job resume? can i ask u a question r u still a virgin?

Old 08-21-2007, 12:18 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: purpl96

wow ok who writes on a forum like their typing up a job resume? can i ask u a question r u still a virgin?
I do for one. It makes understanding what I just wrote easier for everyone else. I'm not sure how your second question pertains to anything on this forum, so I'll just ignore it.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:19 PM
1st Gear Member

o yeah haha sorry the second question is an inside joke with me and my friends it was brought about on a very long night... anway I think I would trust a turbo charger or super charger on my car rather then nitrous I mean I think it's better because the turbo/super charger is constantly running and gives you the power you want at the touch of your foot where as with nitrous you have to be going x speed and at x rpm to make it most effective (I think), I'm still not sure, lots of decisions are to be made before running the times I would like to achieve