Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

noise from engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default noise from engine

i have a 305 with a cam. it has recently started making a tinking noise.

it is random at idle but when i give the car some gas it doesnt sound random anymore.

sorry to be vague.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:59 PM
4th Gear Member

Could be a lifter?

Old 09-20-2009, 10:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

how hard would it be to change the lifter out. or i guess what im asking is would i have to remove the engine.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:16 PM
4th Gear Member

Been a while since I worked on a V8, but you should be able to just remove the intake and all the stuff on t0p of it and get to them pretty easy. Auto parts stores sell a tool that is pretty cheap so you can just reach in and pull them out, once the intake is removed from the engine, that is, if you have hydralic lifters. It will take you longer to get to them than to change them.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:28 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

whats the oil pressure? has it dropped recently? whens the last time u changed the oil and what weight are u using?

Old 09-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

A ticking noise might be a lifter. It could also be an exhaust leak, or a bad plug wire arcing to ground. You really need to pinpoint the source, before you take the engine apart just to find out it was a bad wire the whole time. To check for an ignition short, inspect everything closely at night with the engine running and look for sparks. To search for other engine noises, take a section of heater hose, hold one end to your ear, and prod around the engine with the other end. Or you could always do it the hard way and get yourself a mechanics stethoscope.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:05 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
whats the oil pressure? has it dropped recently? whens the last time u changed the oil and what weight are u using?
it is just overdue for a oil change. oil pressure has stayed the same. im using Castrol GTX 10w30 but i have only done one change since owning the car.

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
A ticking noise might be a lifter. It could also be an exhaust leak, or a bad plug wire arcing to ground. You really need to pinpoint the source, before you take the engine apart just to find out it was a bad wire the whole time. To check for an ignition short, inspect everything closely at night with the engine running and look for sparks. To search for other engine noises, take a section of heater hose, hold one end to your ear, and prod around the engine with the other end. Or you could always do it the hard way and get yourself a mechanics stethoscope.
im going to have my uncle help me take a look too. but i wanted some ideas on what may be causing the issue so i could prepare my self for the worst.

ill fire the car up tonight and have a look for a short.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

my uncle took a listen to the sound. he said it is not a metallic ticking from what he can tell. and he said it sounds more like it is coming from the back of the engine. he said if i had a intake leak i would loose vacuum and the car would drive really bad and it is still driving fine.

he didnt have much time to look things over so that is all i got from him.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:40 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Check the oil level, replace if needed (sounds like its due) While you are at it, may as well do a simple tune up. Dont go throwing money at a problem till you get it in shape. I think new oil will help..... once its done let us know how it sounds.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:26 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

probly an exhaust leak.

Quick Reply: noise from engine