Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Need help with some engine problems!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 02:17 AM
Default Need help with some engine problems!

Hey, my name is Matt, I just joined these forums. I have been working on a 1992 Camaro Z28 with a LT1 engine swap in it for the past 3 1/2 months. I recently just got everything legalized in the state with the safety and registration. However after driving it for a little bit going slightly uphill on one of the highways my engine started giving out like it wasn't getting any fuel at all, the weird part is that if I pumped the gas pedal then it would provide a little gas to get it going but not very fast. I'm wondering what could have cause this and what I can do to fix it?

Also, my engine has a high knocking sound in it. A couple friends have suggested that it may be the lifters, I'm wondering if this could be the problem or if it is something else. Also if it is the lifters, will hydraulic lifters work for the LT1?

Btw, I'm new to fixing cars and all, I've been gradually learning here and there for the past 3 1/2 months since I have gotten this camaro. Please any insight will help out a lot.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Tech Droid

Which LT1 did you put in? The old stile 1970 to 1972 or the more modern 1992-1997 version?

Old 09-04-2010, 03:51 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

and are all the systems from the 92? air, fuel, computer, sensors, wiring?

Old 09-04-2010, 05:29 PM

Its the newer version of the LT1, I didn't swap it myself, the guy I bought it from did. the a/c is gone, I think the oil or o2 sensors are gone, or synthysized(sp) It sucks for me cause I don't really know what the guy took out or left it. the wiring seems to be all there though.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Tech Droid

It is going to be hard to help you without really knowing what you have to work with. Has it ever worked properly? Is the diagnostic connector still working so you can connect a scan tool in it?

Old 09-04-2010, 11:06 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

better show us some pictures. ecu and engine and well the whole car too. lol. if you have a photobucket account you can download them there and then copy the img code to your post, pic will show.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:53 PM

well as far as the engine cutting out when I floor it or even just accelerating fast is a new problem, the car when I drove it before I put it in the shop for 3 months didn't do this, the knock however has always been there.

apparently I was told that problem #1 was from a bad air flow sensor, so I'm wondering if that is true or false

problem #2 I was told yesterday that the knocking was from bad springs, I guess it was suggested that the guy how rebuilt the engine may have put in too aggressive of a camshaft and the valve springs aren't rated for that pressure. so once again true or false to that question as well.

I will try to post some pictures here soon

Old 09-05-2010, 02:09 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

a bad or dirty maf will do that. try cleaning the maf using maf cleaner. is it knocking or ticking? a ticking lifter could be a bad or weak spring but i would try adjusting the valves/lifters before tearing anything major apart. so if the car sat for 3 months the gas could be goin bad. that will make the car run bad.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:14 PM

the air flow sensor is clean, so Im not sure if it is just bad or what.

the engine is making a ticking sound, and I guess the lifters cant be adjusted because they are attached to the rockers? I was told last night that they pretty much can't be adjusted, the gas was definitely bad, I replaced the fuel filter last night and the gas that came out was very cloudy. But after I put some fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank and replaced the fuel filter the car sounded a lot better when it ran, it just cut out still.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:12 PM
Tech Droid

The lifters themselves are not adjustable, but the rocker arms are, and unless there are some bad parts in the valve train, you should be able to adjust the rocker arms so that they won't make too much noise.

Quick Reply: Need help with some engine problems!