Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

NEED ADVICE....On the verge of having to sell!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 01:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default NEED ADVICE....On the verge of having to sell!!!

I got a 81 Camaro...its a a 305 in it with nothin special done to it...I did put headers on it....With rising gas prices my mom (who hates my car anyways) is getting on my case about how it sucs gas....Now I dont know my exact miles per gallon...but it takes me about a quater tank to go 25 miles...Im in high school...I got a part time job...I cant do anything too expensive...Does anyone know some cheap tricks and tips to get better gas milage?

Im open to anything at this point...I really dont want to have to sell my Camaro!!!!!

Old 05-08-2007, 01:46 PM
May 2007 ROTM
Default RE: NEED ADVICE....On the verge of having to sell!!!

Most important thing is make sure it has a good tune up, plugs ,wires, distributor, and timing. ...And throtle controol. Treat the gas pedal like its made out of an egg shell. Drive like a grandmother...........If this doesnt work try a 2 barrel carb setup. But you can save a ton of gas if you are easy on it.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member

How much will this run me if I need plugs & wires??....How can I test if I need a new distributor?

Old 05-09-2007, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I only have ten inches of pipe and a thrush muffler on each side...does this hurt me?

Old 05-09-2007, 03:16 PM
June 2007 ROTM

have u considered riding the school bus? Pedal Bike? Car pool? dont mash the gas at a light. No revs. park the car buy a 4cl. u cant only do so much to save fuel when u a v8

Old 05-09-2007, 08:32 PM
3rd Gear Member

Something isnt right if you are getting 5 or 6 mpg heck I had a 305 in a 4 wd truck that got over 15 mpg. The short pipes are not helping in power or mpg they only annoy your mother and let the cops know where you are... if you have a qudrajet that is properly tuned the primaries are smaller than alot of two bbls you just have to keep your foot out of it. I would try a good tune up unless you are running 4.56:1 gears your mpg is way to low.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:35 PM
NOOO they be stealin' my bucket
ROTM Winner's Club

Plugs, wires, cap, tune up. My 88 was getting about 8 mpg when i got her. A word of advice. Replace to your o2 sensior, new air filter, mid grade plugs, rotar bution, wires, and fuel filter, Add a can of sea foam to your gas tank then to the vacume lines. This will help and should cost less than 300 bucks if you do it your self. And its all easy i can walk you step by step if needed.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:42 AM
1st Gear Member

BLADE: I am in the process of buying my friends 94 Geo Prizm....it aint pretty but it'll stop me pouring all of my paycheck to gas

GRIFF: I am getting ready to get a Holley Carb and a new intake manifold from Jegs...any ones I should go for or stay away from?

CBR600RX7: I will look into that tune-up...Right now I have these Header "Shorty" Plugs...are these a waste of time?...what brands would help my application?

Old 05-10-2007, 11:06 AM
May 2007 ROTM

Ditch the shorties and go long tube, get a set of hookers, as for carb , get the holley street avenger 570 cfm. And the Edelbrock performer, or the RPM. manifold. I take it you have an HEI distributor, if so get a MSD hei kit .

Old 05-13-2007, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

My headers are long tube...I have these "Header" Plugs...they're shorter so the wires wont burn....Yah I think I do have HEI distributor...how much will the MSD one run me?..with all the stuff i need to do...just about how much am I lookin at?

Quick Reply: NEED ADVICE....On the verge of having to sell!!!