Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

lifter noise hydro

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default lifter noise hydro

I have hydro cam/lifters, but one in awhile it sounds like the passenger side up front by the fan is clicking it comes and goes, it is only the one part of that side of the valve cover, any idea on what to do. It is on a 1969 Camaro with a 350

Old 05-26-2010, 11:12 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

hows the oil pressure? are u sure its not leaking from the exhaust manifold?

Old 05-26-2010, 11:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default lifters

The oil pressure is around 40 psi, and the ticking gets faster when you give it gas, but will check to see if the manifold bolts are loose. Is it bad to drive it like this. I would like to get some vortech heads or Iron Egale's and be done with it but that is a bit to much money right now. Thanks, Jerod

Old 05-28-2010, 02:00 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

First figure out if it's an exhaust leak or lifter tick. Both noises are similar but you should be able to tell them apart pretty easily.

If it's lifter tick, just get a set of stock replacement lifters, new intake gaskets, and new valve cover gaskets. You don't need to pull the heads to change the lifters, just the valve covers, rocker arms, and intake manifold.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:13 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yah check for any lose bolts and feel around where u cant see for any gasket that may be blown out. also look far any evidence of exhaust coming out around the exhaust manifold. do you have headers? jr has it right, if its a lifter only. flat cam would be a different story.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:20 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^ That's a good point, the cam could very well be worn. You said you have 40 PSI oil pressure though, which tells me the rest of the engine is in good shape.

The cam could still be worn with good oil pressure though as one doesn't have to do with the other, that's just assumption.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default noise

I do not know I will have to check the bolts to see if they might be loose on the manifold, the noise went away for a while now it is back, drives me nuts not knowing what it is. I was told by 2 different friends who knows motors and the other has been a chevy man and mechanie for 35 years and both say it is a hydo cam, and do not need to check or re-adjust them.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:35 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if it comes and goes i would suspect a exhaust leak more than a lifter. i went so far as to reajust my lifters before finding a blown out header gasket on the rear cylinder.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default lifter

I tightened all of my manifold bolts some needed tightened, but is still making the noise. Do you at times have to adjust the lifters, the car sat for a few years during the restro, maybe that has something to do with it, have the car sit and not be ran. Thanks, Jerod

Old 05-31-2010, 11:26 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the reason i did mine is i thought one may have came loose so i checked them and they were tight and being i had the valve cover off i reset them. motor is pretty much broke in now so i wont have to touch that side again. i hope. lol. if it is a lifter and unless one has come lose then a lifter is failing or u have a cam that is going. depending on how lose the bolts on the intake were i would still consider an exhaust leak a possibilty. sometimes lose bolts will alow a small piece of gasket to be blown out.

Quick Reply: lifter noise hydro