Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Late-model SBC's (not GenII or GenIII)

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 12:52 AM
Default Late-model SBC's (not GenII or GenIII)

I'm looking at using a TBI shortblock (I like the whole 1-piece rear main deal) for my budget buildup, my question is about the blocks and cranks. I've heard they are stronger than previous and I've heard they are weaker than previous. What's the real deal? BTW it looks like I'll be using one out of a late 80's/early 90's pickup truck.

Old 02-17-2006, 02:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Late-model SBC's (not GenII or GenIII)

In my book it is how you build the motor that determines if it is weak or not, not the block. The cranks on the other hand can handle 400 horses easily but anything higher is at your own risk. Street/strip set ups are fine but pushing them hard makes the difference. Since you are going for a budget build up, then you are on a good track. Personally I would have gone with an older style 350 4-bolt main block since they are so cheap with parts.

speedomotive.com

is what I mean by cheap. You will see that their regular 2-peice block components are way cheaper than their 1-peice.

Old 02-17-2006, 03:22 PM

Well, I live in Canada. So on average, I pay pretty much double for anything I buy in a parts store. My plan is to get something with a good bottom end that I can just throw new bearings into. I'll bore it if I have to, but pistons are still only 160-200 for me as opposed to around 500-600 for a set of con rods. I'm also buying as many other parts as I can off friends and people I know, to do a budget buildup here requires staying away from the parts stores as much as possible. Machine work is never cheap either, and if I got an old block and crank they would likely need far more machining than something that was running and complete. I'm heading out to the wreckers in a bit to try and nab one of these, there were a few yesterday but I couldn't ID cubic inches (I don't usually do much with Chev, mostly Pontiacs for me...and on a strange note, I also found a Buick 350 there, first time in my life I've actually seen one around here). Hopefully they're not all 305's!!!

Old 02-17-2006, 05:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well I hope you find what you are looking for. Down here in Missouri it is realatively easy to find motors, parts, etc. I happen to have a 350 4-bolt main that only needs the crank to be ground and bairinged. I'd sell it to you for $100 bucks but since you live in Canada, the shipping would be the problem.

Old 02-17-2006, 09:03 PM

Well, I found one. It's only a two-bolt but it should do okay anyways. Crank is a bit scored, unfortunately, but if overall dimensions spec within tolerances I'm just going to throw new bearings at it anyways. It will need to be bored, but that shouldn't ruin my budget. Con rods and crank were my main concerns. I also nabbed all the head bolts and pushrods, how can you tell I'm trying to do it cheap, eh?