Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

HEY SICK

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 08:11 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default HEY SICK

I drove around with the vacuum gauge hooked up,about half throttle it was getting pretty close to 5"vac.i still have the 5.0 power vavle in it .at wot ,the vacuum dropped down to about 1"vac.i'm thinking i should throw the 3.5 power valve back in there,then try to adjust the air/fuel mixture screws.you told me how to adjust the idle screw,but you kept saying idle screws,mine only has 1 idle screw and stop and 4 air /fuel mixture screws.give it alittle gas ,slip the paper in there,back off the idle screw untill the paper slips out ,turn it in 1/8 turn.in the end,after i set all the air/fuel mixture screws,to obtain max. vac. should i be idling around 1000 or will i have to adjust the idle screw more than the 1/8 turn previously mentioned

Old 07-11-2006, 11:14 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: HEY SICK

yah i would definately go back with the 3.5 and yah your right about the idle "screws". it's demon carbs that have a stop on both the primary and secondarys. must have had a brain fart. the idle speed is really gonna depend on your carb and your own preference. i tend to be a cam worry wart and i like my idle a little high to make sure theres plenty of oil splashing around. i don't run a high volume pump in fear of sucking my pan dry so the higher idle makes me feel more comfortable. while adjusting your mixture screws , as the idle increases drop it back down to just barely an idle so you will be able to identify the changes you are making. once your satisfied that your vacuum is at max and there is no more available idle speed through mixture go back and adjust you idle speed screw to whatever makes you comfy. if you have problems with it and you just can't seem to get it to lean out like it should, i have some material that can help you make some modifications to the butterflys and idle circuit. let me know. good luck. sick

Old 07-12-2006, 12:58 AM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: HEY SICK

appreciate it sick