Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

head questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: head questions

I'm all ears to any advice you have to share. Also, I found these on ebay, are they junk?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-C...spagenameZWDVW

Old 08-12-2008, 11:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ive heard mixed reviews about their quality I believe they are chinese castings claiming to be from Aulstralia. I had a Pro comp water pump it was junk I took it apart and the epoxy holding the windings together had finger print the same size as my 8 yr old you can draw your own conclutions from that. Out of the box one of the best heads going is the AFR I think they are 195 cc but flow great they are also a bit costly. Dart makes a good aluminum head and their iron eagle platinum is an excellent iron head out flows the vortec by alot but they are heavy.
I think more specs on what you are looking to achieve, what you want to spend and use. If your block already has the pistons in it you need to calculate your compression ratio (given the piston volume, block deck and bore we know the stroke is 3.75) to various head chamber sizes. The compression ratio and cam choice will dictate what fuel octane you need to run. Give us more info on what you have now.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Zack, for reference, both sets of heads you have are 76 c.c.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I am thinking the comp. ratio is 10:1, I'm not positive, I have all the paperwork at home and will check the numbers and post them. I have already bought the cam (THUMPR). I am leaning towards these heads. I can't really afford to spend over $1000.
http://www.jegs.com/i/GM%20Performan...58060/10002/-1
Also like I posted before I have the matching parts for the cam, It came in a kit: springs, retainers, seals, rods, lifters, rockers, gear drive, and cam. Plus I have TCI built TH350 with breakaway TC. If I go with the vortecs, I have to buy a new intake manifold, correct? I'm looking to be somewhere between 400-500hp.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

ORIGINAL: ZACK777
I am thinking the comp. ratio is 10:1
Based on what, your current heads?
For your compression ratio, you have to factor in a few things; deck height, are the heads shaved, head gasket thickness (compressed), gasket bore diameter, dome or flatness of the piston, and cc of the heads.
I'm running close to a 10.9 c.r. on mine with 75 cc heads, but the heads are shaved .030 and the block is decked .020.
I wouldn't go with a 64 cc head unless you know where your compression is at, it might be too much with it.
And I would go with different heads other than the Vortec's you showed. For close to the same amount of money, you can get better heads with bigger than 1.94 intake valves (at least 2.02).
And with Vortec heads, you will need to get a vortec style intake. You can modify a regular manifold to bolt to the Vortec heads, but the intake ports won't match up vertically, so you'll actually be hurting yourself.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:57 PM
3rd Gear Member

And for less than $600 what heads do you suggest????

Old 08-13-2008, 08:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

Since you already bought the thumper kit here is the problems you will run into with the vortec head that you show...... first the I believe the lobe lift of the thumper cams exceeds the .475 lift limit on the heads, second the heads require guided rocker arms to run conventional you need to have guide plates installed, Third for a cam that large you will need a decent spring the stock spring pocket is to small in the vortec it would need machined out, some aftermarket vortec heads have this stuff already done aned one other thing the rocker arm studs are pressed in with the lift you are going for (I think) you may want screw in studs(you need to make sure the diameter is ok for the rockers you have anyhow. You might be abile to find a set that this work is already done to but the price will reflect it.
The cheapest option using the components you have and buying new headsmight be the platinum ironeagles by dart they will set you back about $1000.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

For the price, I didn't say "less than", but I did say "close to". And for what these are, I would call them "close to" (at least close enough)
New Dart Iron Heads

Old 08-13-2008, 10:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

That does look like the best option for him.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes

So the Dart heads are my best choice for my setup and budget correct. I looked for the paper work on my motor last night but could not find them, sooo... I don't want to sound like a complete idiot, but everything I have including the thumpr kit will work on the DART heads without any further modifications? I just do not want to get something put it together and screw it all up. Its nice to have people like you guys to help.

Quick Reply: head questions