Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

head questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 03:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default head questions

I've got s set of stock 350 heads, I already bought new springs, retainers, rockers, lifters, cam, pushrods for my engine build. The block is already bored and stroked to a 383. My question is what route should I take with the heads, I can have them both port and polished for 450 or should I get aftermarket heads, or is it alright to just clean the heads up myself and build off them stock. The reason I asked that is I am tight on money and the car has been sitting in my garage for over a year and I really need to get it finished and out, maybe to sell, don't know yet. ANY HELP is appreciated thanks

Old 08-08-2008, 09:09 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: head questions

I rebuilt mine and had them cleaned and worked on for 200 and then bought beehive springs, roller rockers, etc., etc. Altogether about 500 dollars. You can get summit bare stock heads for I think 3 - 4 hundred and just assemble them yourself. That's about the same amount as hav.ing them rebuilt and ported even though the summit heads don't come ported but usually have bigger runners anyways. Porting helps a good deal but it doesn't matter if you've got tiny runners and can't deliver the air/fuel to the cylinders.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:20 AM
3rd Gear Member

What casting are the heads?

Old 08-11-2008, 11:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: GRIFF

What casting are the heads?
I'm not positive, Maybe 3973487 or 3932441, I will check the casting numbers when I get home from work. I have two sets of 350 heads, one set is off the "hencho en mexico" crate 350, not the set I was going to get redone.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:54 PM
August 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If your on a budget, go with the GM performance cast iron vortech heads. You can pick up a set assembled for under $500.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:36 PM
3rd Gear Member

If you can find a set of vortecs rebuilt for $500 thats a good deal, I run the vortecs like them alot but there are a few things to consider 1. In stock form the vortec head is limited as far as lift goes anything over.450 yo better check the retainer/seal clearance. 2. They require a specific intake maniforld 3. they are set up for self aligning rockers. The pluses is the valve seats are hardened for unleaded fuel, the combustion chambers are superior to any old gm head and they out flow any old stock gm head.

Check the casting # I need to look them up in Vizards book to comfirm my thoughts I am pretty sure a friend of mine runs the 441s ported.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: GRIFF
Check the casting # I need to look them up in Vizards book to comfirm my thoughts I am pretty sure a friend of mine runs the 441s ported.
Boy I'm sorry, I was way off on my thoughts. The casting number is, 3998920. And the mexican ones are 33417369.
Sorry if I confused anybody throwing numbers out there, but these are the correct ones. Thanks

Old 08-11-2008, 08:48 PM
3rd Gear Member

The numbers didnt ring any bells for me which is a bad sign I guess. From what Ive found is they ar both open chamber heads ie smog heads. The one might be stamped mexico they could be a little heavyer casting. I dont think either one is worth porting you would be further ahead with the vortecs. If the valves and guides are ok you might as well put it together with the heads as they are expecially if you want to sell... a running car is easyer to sell than a roller

Old 08-12-2008, 09:48 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Alright thanks for all of your help. I will shop around for a good deal on some vortecs, sounds like that is my best route. I really do not want to sell the car but school is not cheap and I have too many toys. We will see what happens, my plan is to get it running strong first, and if I do have to sell it I want to have some fun with her first, maybe a few track runs. I will keep my progress posted and probably keep you enthusiasts on your toes with some more questions down the road. Great forum

Old 08-12-2008, 10:14 AM
3rd Gear Member

If you go with the vortecs I can give you alot of sources of info and advice.

Quick Reply: head questions