Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

engine building!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007 | 01:06 AM
|
1st Gear Member
Default engine building!!!!!!!!

ok so finaly my settlement has came through. i get my check next week. im getting 5500$ cash. and i have long decided to put it all into my car. my car as of right now. stock cept for a flowmaster. 1996 z28. i havent really decided exactly what to do with the money. but its fixing to happen either way. i dont know if i want to do all the suspsension and full bolt ons including cam heads and such. or just do full bolt ons and build the motor ( got a weak valve seal or a weak ring im told, the car when you shut it off a little bit of smoke comes out the tail pipes.) runs strong great pull does 14.6 in the 1/4 at 97. brand new tires on back. will be changing the fronts next week. all help with this is greatly greatly appreciated. seeing that im only 19 and this is my first v8 and project. so when i say help. dont just say get this or get that. send me a link to the page on the internet (ie summitracing or something) ive looked at summit but when i see some things i dont know what im looking at. like air foil. what does that do. summit dont get dyno results or anything which that would be very helpfull for young kids who dont know nothing that have a pocket full of money. so far ive picked out one thing i deffinately want and that is the edelbrock strut tower brace from summit part number edl-5228. if anyone has info on this then let me know. if getting the hotchens or how ever you spell it that is like 250$ would be better let me know. i know i want a loud cam. a good sounding cam. im thinking of getting one from thunderracing.com.im told they have good stuff. headers is a must i need to know a good set of headers. i dont want someone to say get these and not know if there any good i want to hear from someone who has them or has had them. should i invest in msd. or is there something better out there. and yeah im on a budget . i want to get everythingi can out of this money. sorry this is long. but im very very serious about this. cars is my life its my passion. i would probly give up my fiance for the right car lol. all my life cars has been whats thrilled me and excited me. im working for practicly free at a machanics shop. i get a pretty decent lunch yesterday it was 15.00 for my lunch and i get gas money to get there and back. i love cars. i dont know much about motors and i want to learn. so sorry if my question sound dumb or newbish. im really looking forward to making something out of my camaro. i want a good 11second car. if i can get that i will be happy. ill be one of the fastest around my area. and again sorry that this is so long. advise on things to get would be great advise on how well the parts are is even better. im new at this i dont want to screw it up and i want to be as decent as possible. and this is a dumb dumb question but what does f-body mean -_-.

Old 06-08-2007 | 01:07 AM
|
1st Gear Member
Default RE: engine building!!!!!!!!

what would be better for a programmer . hypertech or jet. im told they suck and dont do anything. but my car has a governor. and shuts off around 115.

Old 06-08-2007 | 01:34 AM
Overdrive Member

just take it to a shop to get it programmed for the mods you do, unless you know what your doing

Old 06-08-2007 | 01:37 AM
|
1st Gear Member

yeah my brother will be handling all that at his shop. he will be helping me build the motor. but im just trying to get a parts list ya know.

what should i do a bout intake manifold. go with another chevy or buy a eldelbrock or something.im looking at these right now.
http://www.performancemarket.com/cat...ifold&my=1

Old 06-08-2007 | 01:04 PM
Overdrive Member

it looks like those are carburated intake manifolds, i know eldelbrock just came out with a fuel injected intake manifold for lt1s, i would check that out

Old 06-08-2007 | 11:26 PM
|
1st Gear Member

come on guys i really need some help with this. sites and links to parts.

Old 06-09-2007 | 12:10 AM
Overdrive Member

try summit racing or jegs

Old 06-09-2007 | 07:39 AM
|
1st Gear Member

already have. i need a good cam thats what im looking for.

Old 06-09-2007 | 11:25 AM
2nd Gear member

i dont know about cams... but ill give you my opinion! Get a full exhaust. SLP Headers and SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, and a high flow cat from magnaflow or something, doesnt really matter. That will sound amazing. Get a good intake... K&N or SLP. Go on ebay and buy a strut bar there, i did for 80 dollars and it's amazing. It handles and looks good for a fraction of the price from those ur looking at. Just because u have the money, dont blow it when u dont need to. Eibach pro kit springs are good, with new sway bars, struts and shocks. Intake manifolds are pricey and few. Get a big name one from edelbrock or jegs. Cam is a yes, but i just dont know what kind. You may fuel injectors and a new pump. PCM flash. All that you will be sitting low, fast, loud, and better then vette handling.

Old 06-09-2007 | 11:26 AM
2nd Gear member

and a pulley kit off of summit. free up some more hp!

Quick Reply: engine building!!!!!!!!