Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Distributer/starter hookup

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 09:48 PM
Default Distributer/starter hookup

OK i am having a serious problew getting this damn car started. The Distributer is installed and in time but it will not spark! I checked the starter and there are only two wires connected to it. one from the battery + terminal and one going to the ignition. when i turn the key it cranks the engine but it dosnt fire. I looked at the wiring diagram in a hayes book and it said that there are supposed to be three wires hooked up to the starter. the battery positive and the wire going to the ignition are supposed to be on the same terminal and one is supposed to go to the positive of the coil. It's confusing to my simple brain.

how am i supposed to wire this thing up?. there are three terminals on the starter, none of them labeled but the battery cable is deffinatly on the right terminal and the terminal on the right of the batt has the ignition wire on it. the coil is ontop of the distributer and has wires going into the dist. there are two terminals that dont have anything hooked up to it on the coil. they are labeled Tach and Bat.

I tried hooking up the third terminal from the starter and a wire from the battery to the terminal on the coil labled bat and when i cranked it over it didnt start but backfired and shot a little bit of gas out of the top of the carb.

Help?

Old 03-24-2006, 04:54 AM
Default RE: Distributer/starter hookup

Ok maybe i was a bit confusing in my quest for help.

I have a car..... It no workey.

I need to know how to hook up the coil and the starter.
I have one wire going from the battery to the starter. One wire from the starter to the ignition and one wire from the starter AND the battery into the coil. Is this right? after it backfired on me i'm affraid to try it again.

Old 03-24-2006, 08:48 PM
2nd Gear member

hey it backfired, that means the coil is fine. it sounds to me like your timing is way off. if it cranks your starter is also fine. the only thing wrong is it cant be on time. it will take a while to type, but if u need it i can write full directions on how to start over and retime your car.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:03 PM
2nd Gear member

I would agree with the timing. make sure that the distributer is in correctly. then mess with the roder.

Old 03-25-2006, 06:47 PM

That's what it was. i was messing ith the distributor and noticed that whenever i cranked it the distributor was out of place afterwards so i tightened it got it to start and then adjusted the timing. Thanks guys