Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

big problem i need some help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 07:24 PM
2nd Gear member
Default big problem i need some help

ok so i currently have comp cams magnum roller rockers, and their pushrods, in a 1975 chevy 350. i start my car, it idles rough and normal, just like it should. well, all the sudden, it starts idling really ****ty, and every time one of the cylinders came around, it popped, in a perfect routine. so i took off one of the valve covers, and let it idle some more. cylinder number 8, the exhaust valve rocker didnt move at all. so i take the rocker off, the pushrod is perfectly straight, but has a 1 inch gash in the side of it, and when i put it back in, it seats way lower then the other pushrods. i really need some help now, the car needs a full exhaust and inpected by teh end of this month. i was guessing its the lifter, but im not sure at this moment. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-20-2006, 08:11 PM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: big problem i need some help

sounds kind of like a lifter.i would think even with a collapsed lifter it would move some.you might have wiped out a lobe on the cam.do you see an metal in the oil.take the rocker off,disconnect the battery wire from the distributor so that it dosent start,have someone turn the motor over while you hold the pushrod,if the pushrod dosent move,i would look at the cam a little closer

Old 03-20-2006, 08:19 PM
2nd Gear member

yea, kind of sounds like the lobe, are you using guide plates for the pushrods? correct valve springs ect?

Old 03-20-2006, 08:47 PM
2nd Gear member

the heads already have small rectangular openings so guide plates are not needed, i do remember hearing a small piece of metal drop, but if it is the cam lobe, would i have to also replace the lifter? and yes, the pushrod does barely twitch, i already took the rocker off, and diconected the coil and all and tried that with a friend. so basically your saying im going to have to buy a new cam and lifter.... wow my luck is horrible right now

Old 03-21-2006, 02:08 AM
July 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if you put a new cam in it, i would use all new lifters also.i dont know how many miles you have on these lifters but they are already broke into the suspected cam.if it wiped a lobe ,chance's are you have metal all in the motor and all the lifters,it would be hard to get out of the lifters

Old 03-21-2006, 05:31 PM
2nd Gear member

ok the kid i bought the motor from, he came and looked at it today, hes been in and out of this motor so he knows it pretty good, well he said the cams fine, so the garage he works at is taking it down there, and they are putting in a knew lifter, maybe even all of them, and changing all the pushrods.