Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

bad miss

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Default bad miss

i have camaro iroc z with a tune port 350 that is cammed. it will start up but will not idle it has a real bad miss. i pulled each individual wire and the miss never changed,it did not get worse or better. and there is gas in the oil. somebody help me!!!!!

Old 10-05-2008, 03:03 PM
BackseatBob
Default RE: bad miss

It may not be amiss, I had a problem similar before. Mine turned out to be a badly burned valve, that could be your problem, or possibly a broken ring if gas is getting in the oil. Anyone else agree? This is what I went through so that's all I can suggest, I can't think of much else. What was happening with me was that the fuel was getting pushed out of the cylinder before it ignited, and it made my motor pop and miss all over the place. Not to mention back-firing all the time (it was an intake valve). Suggestions anyone? If I'm wrong then more ppl will answer, that always seems to work.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:23 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: bad miss

Bob's totally wrong. You have a dead hooker in the combustion chamber.

Actually, he's probably more right than I could give help with. Did you, by chance, run a compression test and vacuum test before this happened? If you did you can run the tests again and check for variances. Also, pull your plugs and look for any that are different than the others. How much lift are you generating with your cam? With a high lift/high duration cam you'll have a lot lower vacuum so a new vacuum test will be off from stock and probably won't read right on a burnt valve test.