Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Default Alternator

Hey all, this seems like a great forum. I'd like to introduce myself as a first-time camaro owner. Ijust recently boughtan '02 SS. Love it. Always wanted one.

Anyway, I have a few factory installed SLP upgrades including an under drive pulley that is affecting the performance of my alternator at idle. I definately need to replace the unit, but am having trouble finding one that will perform better, for under $500. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2007, 05:09 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Alternator

Yes, get rid of the underdrive pulley. They are not worth the charging problems on street driven car.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:03 PM

Yes, on a street driven car it is probably not worth it. However, I want the pulley on there for the track. I have no problems with cooling or anything, just the charging, so I am looking for an alternator that can make the difference.

But, if you think I'm throwin' money away for nothin', I'd like to hear about it too.

Thanks!

Maybe replacing the pulley with one rated better for charging performance? Marchperformance?

Old 08-10-2007, 08:09 PM
Tech Droid

Forget about the pulleys and put in an electric water pump. The water pump is the big power user at high RPM because it gets spun way too fast.The alternator only uses what is asked of it,theAC you can turn off, and power steering only uses power when the steering wheel is turned.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:45 PM

ORIGINAL: z28pete

Forget about the pulleys and put in an electric water pump. The water pump is the big power user at high RPM because it gets spun way too fast.The alternator only uses what is asked of it,theAC you can turn off, and power steering only uses power when the steering wheel is turned.
What would be the benefit of adding an electric water pump? I understand that it would take some of the load off my alternator, but I dont have any overheating problems, so would it be that noticeable of a difference, especially at idle rpms? Im looking for a solution to low RPM charge problems.

Thanks

Old 08-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Tech Droid

The alternator is spinning too slowly to produce power with your pulleys, a low speed alternator, if you can even find one, is a bulky item which won't be easy to mount. By putting the stock pulleys back in everything will work properly. The stock water pump spins too fast, especially at high RPM and draws much power from the engine, that is the main reason for the pulleys. The electric pump spins at a steady speed which and draws much less power. With the electric water pump you have the advantages of the pulleys without the low voltage problems. But, hey, it's your call.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:16 AM
4th Gear Member

What would you rather have, a battery fully charged or a few extra rpms at the track?? I would take a car that will start and not have to worry about about a poor performing alternator (also the cheapest solution to your original Post).[sm=chairshot.gif]

Old 08-11-2007, 02:39 PM

Well I do not have the stock pulley, so I think I will look into the water pump. You're prob right, the difference may be negligible on the track, haven't dynoed the car yet, but the pump looks like the best of both worlds. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:34 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lovelacci

Well I do not have the stock pulley, so I think I will look into the water pump. You're prob right, the difference may be negligible on the track, haven't dynoed the car yet, but the pump looks like the best of both worlds. Thanks for the info.

It would be cheaper to replace the pulley then going to electric water pump which will not be cheap(parts &labor and a pulley delete). Also you have the realabitiy factor again on a street car with little Hp gain. But it is your car and do whar you want..[sm=gears.gif]

Old 08-12-2007, 10:45 PM
2nd Gear member

WILL SOMEONE PUT OUT IN ONE SPOT WHAT THE BEST SOLUTION WOULD BE!!!

Quick Reply: Alternator