Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

Going to look at a block tomorrow....

Old 12-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Default Going to look at a block tomorrow....

Tomorrow im going to look at a block to start my project build... Its a 71 block out of a 71 Vette. Its already bored .030 over and just needs to be line bored... But since i have never bought just a plain block before and the last time i rebuilt a motor was years ago with my dad what should i look for when i go see it before i hand over the money? Im only paying $50 for it but still what should i look for?

Thanks,

Old 12-12-2009, 12:18 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I would look for cracks. Check the journals for wear. Make sure the bolt holes are empty and not full of a bolt that broke off. 50 bucks is a steal for a good block.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:19 AM
3rd Gear Member

Line boring usally relates to the alignment of the mains, if this is the case I would be curious if the main caps were changed and if so.. why. I would also look for casting alignment see if the lifterbores are centered and also where the camshaft goes in is centered. Check the bottoms of the cylinder to see if the bottoms look broke this could indicate a rod failure. Is it a 4 bolt or 2 bolt block?

Old 12-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Hey, for only $50, if it doesn't check out you could slap a piece of glass on top and make a neat coffee table out of it. I've got a block lying around too....hmmmmm!

Last edited by Camaro 69; 12-12-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Hey, for only $50, if it doesn't check out you could slap a piece of glass on top and make a neat coffee table out of it. I've got a block lying around too....hmmmmm!

Just moved to so we are in need of more furniture haha!

Its a 2 bolt main block. He has a few others im going to look at. He has one from Mexico or something? I dont know if that makes it special at all but he said something about a 350 he got from mexico .030 over.

I leave in about 30 mins to check it out.. Any last minute suggestions!

Old 12-12-2009, 03:29 PM

Went there to buy one block.... Came back with two lol.

One was a short block out of a 91 truck.

other was a block out of a 71 chevelle. Needs LIne bore and some other clean up machining.

Got both for $140=]

Old 12-12-2009, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Are you sure it doesn't need to be align honed? Align honing just takes a little off to make sure the mains are true.

Align boring take a lot more off and usually a special timing chain is needed because the distance between the cam and crank is shorter after align boring is done.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by NYH1
Are you sure it doesn't need to be align honed? Align honing just takes a little off to make sure the mains are true.

Align boring take a lot more off and usually a special timing chain is needed because the distance between the cam and crank is shorter after align boring is done.

Hmm... How would i be able to tell the difference?

Old 12-13-2009, 01:02 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You won't know until you take the block to a machine shop. On a block with existing caps, align honing is for truing up a slightly out of spec opening. It would need to be align bored if the wear is too severe for honing to correct it.
Also, align boring needs to be done when installing aftermarket main caps, or even stock main caps from a different block.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
You won't know until you take the block to a machine shop. On a block with existing caps, align honing is for truing up a slightly out of spec opening. It would need to be align bored if the wear is too severe for honing to correct it.
Also, align boring needs to be done when installing aftermarket main caps, or even stock main caps from a different block.

Alright thanks for the decription. Now i need to find a machine shop in south east michigan.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going to look at a block tomorrow....