Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

350 With a Blower? info please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 02:47 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 350 With a Blower? info please.

As a Kid, I've always wanted this Monstrosity Of a car, Something that looked like it came from hell That Proved itself. Like Camaro's, they are a Great summer car so why not do it up like a summer car? My Questions are ;IS a blower System Worth it? I've been reading alot about them and would be intrested in getting the STAGE2 Blower as a kit, Belts, Pullys, Bloweretc... Im not looking for anything Overkill But something with a bit of Bite to it.(For the Streets)

I've always wanted a blower system and now that i got the car to do it, it's a perfect thing to get. I've got alot of questions that didn't get answerd thoughtout my readings. Im Just doing my shopping before i actully start putting some cash away for it.

1) Is the Installation Hard?
2) Whats the difference between FI and Carburated Blower Systems?
3) Is there a difference of Power Between the FI and Carburated System?
4) is the Power/trq Worth the Thousands of Dollers?
5) Is it a good Combo with the 350 PowerPlant?
6) Do i need anything to go with the Blower Kit like...Cams Other Performance items or is it just bolt on and go?
7) Does it Jeprodise the Engines Life? hard on pistons, rings, crank..etc..

I Just recently got a 86 Iroc-z with a 350FI(swapped by previous ownder) 5speen manuel. the only thing this car got is a bit of engine work(porting/Polishing) and a set of nice Daytona 16"Rubber. Coming : Full Exhaust. Thanks, Aj

P.S - Looking to Switch over to the Carburated side lol

Old 07-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: 350 With a Blower? info please.

You mention a blower so I suppose you are looking at a roots type blower, rather than a centrifugal supercharger like Vortech or a screw supercharger like Whipple.
A 8-71 blower sitting on top of the engine with dual quads sticking out through the hood, will definitely make it look mean & nasty, but the trick is to make run as mean and nastyas it looks.
1) The blower will need tobe set up toproduceat least 15 PSI to make the whole thing worth while.
2) The engine will have to be built to take the power, forged internals, 4 bolt mains, blower rated pistons,etc.. And the bearings will take a beating, so youhave tocheck them on a regular basis. Engine balancing is a must.
3) Low compression, around 8:1 to prevent engine destroying detonation
4) Free flowing heads with large runners, you will have more low end torque than you can handle so build for top end power.
5) Upgraded fuel system, this baby is going to suck up gas with no mercy.
6) Upgraded ignition, lots of Volts and Amps.
7) Dual pattern blower grind cam, you want to make it easy for all that burnt gas to get out, but you want to avoid blowing the intake charge right out the exhaust.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

What kit are you looking at? Im stuck between going with the 383 buildup or a weiand 177 on a 355.

What does this "stage 2" kit come with?

Forced Induction definatly isnt for the average joe, you might wanna pick up the S.A. designs book about supercharging and etc first.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Tech Droid

Here is a link to a properly built & streetable 350 blown engine. As you can see the price is pretty steep.
http://hekimianracing.com/bs383chevy720.html
http://hekimianracing.com/racengines.html

Old 07-11-2007, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

There was a magazine i had, i think it was super chevy, and they built up a 350 w/ a s/c making 425 horse off of a weiand 144, aluminum heads, cam for like under 7k i think. But of course thats just a price on parts, no labor.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:24 PM
2nd Gear member

a blower is great on amotor built for it, I would say sell the motor in the car, have a good bottom end built, from there its mostly turnin bolts till you get to tuning, then have someone with experience show the ins and outs of it

Old 07-12-2007, 12:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for answering Most of my questions!! What i was looking into or what caught my eye was this... : http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/ca...pany_id=101011.

I just got my car so the Search is on for a great, quality product. With you're help, i can get one of the better blower systems on the market. With these things i dont tend to*save a bit of money for a cheap one*. What youspend is what you get kinda deal. Yes i know they arn't cheap but it's gonna be a little while before i get one but i can still Read up on them. As far as Knowledge goes with these im learning everyday about them. i'd like to keep the engine i have now and Change it over to Carberated system and re-inforce it the best i can for the high performance Parts.. New cam, roller-rockers, pistons and rings, carbs, heads, ignition,etc...

Like i said, im not looking for anything OVERKILL..lol, but with something with a bit of bite.
I can see it now, the Blower sticking about 6" out of the hood with the butterflys opening and closing.. now thats a car! As a kid, this is my First Car so i think i may be keeping it for a long, long time.

So there's a fair bit of maintence for a system like this? Can you guys List a couple of Blower Product sites?

Old 07-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Tech Droid

Bolting the blower on is the easy part, building the rest of the engine properly is the problem.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:44 PM

I was thinking about doin the same thing but I want to just build a 383 and do the heads, cams , and headers after reading all that it seems like alot I looked into a pro charger and it was 4000 $ for everything i needed and thats rediculous I have a 91 z 28 and its my first camaro I always wanted one and I wanted to superchrage it too but **** it im not gonna spend that much just to supercharge it and then have to check **** all the time. and I dont want to go threw transmissions eighter

Old 12-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Holy Resurrection, Batman!!!

Quick Reply: 350 With a Blower? info please.