Engine & Internal Cams, heads, valvetrain, rotating assemblies. Chat about beefing up your insides here.

327 crankcase venting

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Default 327 crankcase venting

I have installed the original 327 engine back into my 1967 Camaro.
The 2 barrel Rochester was replaced with a 4 barrel Carter.
I am wondering how I can vent the crankcase since I do not use PCV.
I was told to merely vent it to atmosphere.
I have a restored vehicle that i dont want to get all greasy.
Any ideas here?
Thanks in advance

Old 03-26-2010, 04:29 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Do you still have the rear vent tube hooked up, or blocked off?
Is there an oil filler tube on the front of the intake manifold?
Do you have breathers, or provisions for them on the valve covers?
Why don't you want to hook up a PCV valve? It would be a good idea to do so since it ventilates the crankcase in a more positive manner (sucks) as opposed to the engine pushing it out.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:39 PM

I no longer have the oil fill tube with the new maifold.
The rear vent is still there - just has a plastic cover on it for now.
The old script Chevy valve covers didnt allow for putting oil in the engine
So new covers allow for oil filling- both covers are the same- If possible, I could one of the oil fill caps and replace it with an adapter of sorts to install a PCV valve and connect that to the rear vent.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:54 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67Harbor
I no longer have the oil fill tube with the new maifold.
The rear vent is still there - just has a plastic cover on it for now.
So new covers allow for oil filling- both covers are the same- If possible, I could one of the oil fill caps and replace it with an adapter of sorts to install a PCV valve and connect that to the rear vent.

Mostly on big blocks but I've seen a breather/s with a hose fitting on the valve cover/s routed to the headers and a fitting welded to the collector/s for the hose/es to plumb into the exhaust system.
The exhaust flow passing by creates a scavenging affect making vacuum which causes positive crankcase ventilation similar to a PCV but without pumping oil into your intake.
The oil burns off in the hot exhaust instead of the engine.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 67Harbor
I no longer have the oil fill tube with the new maifold. The rear vent is still there - just has a plastic cover on it for now.
Ok, then you can put a breather in one valve cover, and a pcv valve in the other. If that setup ends up pumping oil into your intake, then you have serious ring wear/blow-by issues. I have a breather in one valve cover, and a combo pcv/breather in the other and it works just fine.
And you don't want to connect one of your oil fill caps to the rear vent. That's just forming a loop connecting two crankcase vents together, and would do nothing beneficial.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:29 AM

what Y2K is talking about is a crankcase evac syatem. If you need that on a 327 either you have one hot 327 or alot of ring wear. You only need an evac system on an engine with huge compression. Check the air cleaner, most after market air cleaners come with a small black adapter that screws to the bottom of the housing for the pcv valve. you can get pcv valves now that look like breathers with a hose so they look just as good. Without a pcv youre never gonna keep your engine clean , especially if your valve covers arent baffled.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:43 PM
1st Gear Member

also chemical vapors collect in oil causing it to overtime become corrosive/acidic unless boiled off by running at operating temp with good ventilation system..

i run a pcv no matter what ive got or built its just good to have way better than the oldschool factory setup with a hose going from the block to the ground. venturi effect hardly worked for that setup and if there was slight ammount of oil they cloged with dirt