Computer & Fuel Systems Talk about the control module, fuel systems and delivery, customization and more.

94 Z28 O2 keeps going out..?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 05:00 PM
Default 94 Z28 O2 keeps going out..?

I have a 94 Camaro Z28. When i first bought the car, the car was running like crap, started to "pull" a little on the highway when going on distances. IV spent months figuring out the little issues in it.
Changed: Coil, Sparkplugs (4 arc IR), Sparkplug wires, injectors, Knock sensor, TPS, MAF, MSD Cap/Rotor,and both O2s, and the ECU(to see if it would fix it)(have a 95 Z28 too)...maybe more just dont remember.

I currently "fixed" the prob, and it was running fine for a month or so, and i drive 300+ miles a week. I have been having to replace the left (when sitting in the car) O2 sencer every 2 months or so. (3 times now)What could cause this?

This is what it is doing when it starts to act up after 1-2 months after replacing theO2. It drives FINE before it starts to act up after 1-2mnths.
When driving a long distance, after a while (about an hr) I start to feel a slight "pull" or chug every 10 sec. or so. Watching the RMP it would go down about 100-200RPMs (on crouse control) when this happends and it goes back and forth. After a little while it gets bad enough to where it throws the chk eng lite. (left o2 too lean). It would only stay on for a little bit while driving (while on, car would run ok) then when the lite would shut off the car would BOG down, reducing speed, ect. and a nasty sounding sound from the engine bay when trying to go faster. Its even downshifted while on Cruse Control to try n maintain speed.It would get bad after this even in town after a while of driving. Black smoke, NO power, studdering, almost stalling at stops, etc. afterreaching OT.I could leave the "bad"O2 in, and it would continue to be screwed up. Get a replacement and it runs PREFECT for 1-2 months..then same thing again.. I actually drive 150+ miles one way on the hwy a weekend, and i have had this happen, and ALL 3 times i have parked in the EXACT same spot where it wouldnt make it up this hill. I would let the exhause/car cool for 30-45 min, start it up n run good till i get home and it acts up again.
Im sure that was all a little confuzing, but basically what im asking is what could cause the O2 to die like this, so I can replace the POS, and stop replacing the O2 so frequently. Thanks ALOT.

FYI - I DO (as of today) have a ALDL usb cable for my laptop to my OBD-1 Z28, what program would u use to maybe find out what is wrong, and the files needed to do so.

Thank you guys ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PS: I dont have a T-Stat in, could this do it?

Old 09-05-2007, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 94 Z28 O2 keeps going out..?

i've had this problem too... but i still havent gotten around to changing the o2 sensors that are bad....

but where did you get the usb cable?