93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

At WITS end!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 01:10 AM
Unhappy At WITS end!

I am out of ideas, suggestions, conclusions, answers, etc. After going thru 3 different repair shops (I know, right?)...my sweet baby is still sick. I am so passionate about my car that I'm down to literally losing sleep over this sh_t!

I am running catless (no emissions laws here) because the old one was completely clogged. After investing over $1000 in parts and labor since then, I have went thru 2 brand new sets of plugs. ICM is good, coils are brand new and its firing great. But ever since the cat was dropped, there is an occaisional "steam" coming from exhaust. I'm told its running too rich cuz the steam smells like raw gas. I am also aware of the O2 simulator and purchased one that I am simply terrified to install. It has 5 wires that I must tap into the o2 sensor harness, i guess,.....but is this the cause of the fouled plugs? I replaced the plug on #6 this evening (which was a total bytch by the way and i dang near broke both arms getting to it)...cuz the obdII scanner said misfire on #6...the plug was wet and gassy scented with a black carbon like buildup around the tip...

what gives?

Old 06-06-2009, 02:25 AM
2nd Gear member

from what I've read, it probably is you O2 sensors running you rich due to the cat beng removed. I would put the simulator on and see what happens. They also have sites that show you how to take a fouler plug and drill the hole out to 1/2 inch and install you O2 sensor into that an it "tricks" it to lean it down. I'm not an expert or nothing , just thinking that the O2 sim would probably help.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:44 AM

yeah...i'm hoping that's all it is..

but the instructions they sent with the simulator are way confusing...I understand that the sensor located behind where the cat used to be is the one causing the chaos, but it says not to install the sensor near extreme heat conditions...says most people install it in the passenger cabin under the dash....my question is WHERE? The only wiring i see there is coming from the back of the control panel where you turn on the heater and stuff.... ?

Old 06-06-2009, 04:26 AM
2nd Gear member

Ive never installed one (or actually ever seen one) but, maybe you can find a friend who could install it for you. I would say that is your problem. What part of Kentucky are you from? I live around Beckley, WV.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:38 AM

yeah, i've checked around with people i trust with puttin their hands on my baby and they avoid the job like you wouldn't believe.....i'm just afraid of gettin into wire splicing and all that just...it usually leads to a good juicin' or you can melt some **** down if you get it wired backwards...

i'm from southeastern Ky...down around the tennessee border....

Old 06-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Overdrive Member

That O2 sensor is just used to monitor the cat's performance, nothing else. Can you feel it when it misfires? Or is it just subtle misfire?

Old 06-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ That's true, the post cat oxy sensor doesn't adjust your fuel trim, it's there to tell if the cat is working correctly or not. And with that oxy sensor out, you should also expect to have your SES dash light on, but that would just be on as a nuisance. Are you sure (have you checked) that one of the other oxy sensors or wires weren't damaged while the exhaust was being worked on?

Old 06-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Overdrive Member

Relating to the misfire, I have a shop check to see if all your injectors are electrically good, and you can clean them mechanically with a few tanks of a good fuel system cleaner (I use Lucas)... Try those things and see if that helps the misfire...

Old 06-06-2009, 04:55 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

has the computer been tuned for the mods? did u change all four 02 sensors? get a dealer service manual for your car.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Back up, What is the problem? The Steam? You said the computer is reporting a miss but do you feel a miss? how is the gas mileage?

From what you said about the plug you have either and injector issue or the cylinder is not getting enough air. Forget about the cat till that is fixed. Even if you have a O2 sensor problem it would not just effect one cylinder.

Quick Reply: At WITS end!