Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 V6 Tech (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-v6-tech-14/)
-   -   who would win (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-v6-tech-14/who-would-win-20624/)

peter 10-30-2007 06:02 PM

RE: who would win

that mustanghas 155000 miles automatic

Swing_it1986 10-31-2007 07:34 PM

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

ORIGINAL: Swing_it1986

Mustang 4.6 had 215 horsepower, but Ford always made good amounts of torque, they just usually weren't able to consistently back their Torque with massive horsepower. Plus we all know that unless it's a Ford is out to make a true performance car, their Mustangs are usually just average. Sad state of affairs, when in 1996, the base model Camaro 3.8L V6 had 200 HP, and the performance powerhouse V8 Mustang GT 4.6L had 215 HP.

I'm sure the 4.6 would eat a 3.4 whole. No doubt. Plus, the 4.6 has 4 valves per cylinder and with a few bolt ons will push 260-270 HP easy. That's one thing I've noticed with Ford, that their cars are easily open to modification and fairly simple to make their performance on par with GM counterparts.
the 96 GT (215hp) was a 2v motor. the 4v cobras were 300hp at the crank (96-98). the 2v mustang from that time frame (called nPI) were complete dogs. the 99+ cars had better heads and intake manifolds which gave them 260hp. it takes alot to get the older 4.6's up to par through those stock heads. almost everyone does the PI swap and continues working from there.
My apologies on misquoting the GT and Cobra motors.

And to justify my point, in Auto shop we were lucky to have dyno measurement system. And a kid in the class had a 1996 GT Mustang, and we put on a Cold Air Intake, Comp cam (not sure on duration and lift), some headers (forget which brand), a custom X pipe, and some Flowmaster mufflers, and the car dyno'd at a little over 260 horsepower. And since our teacher helped him and all he had to pay for was parts, it all came up forunder a $1000. That was my point, that a little money and easy bolt ons you can get MUCH greater performance out of Mustangs. Mustangs usually are always in the low end of the comparitive spectrum of muscle car peformance for a given time, and with a little work they are usually able to keep up other stock counterparts, if not surpass.

ninetysixyenko 10-31-2007 07:51 PM

so is the 4v per cylender, a DOHC for each side? or is it still one cam, but with alot 4 lifts per cylender, instead of 2?

SpecterGT260 11-01-2007 02:27 AM

the cobra is DOHC 4v and the GT is SOHC 2v. A PI GT (99-04) with full boltons and a tune will put down about 260 rwhp. I used to own and mod a 00 GT. The sad thing is, with every bolton immaginable in any mustang you still cannot hit the rwhp of a similar year f-body. That doesnt mean I dont ahve a healthy respect for mustangs, some of the fastest cars I know are mustangs. however, it is true that for at least the last 10 years (not counting 05+) you need a power adder for a mustang GT to take out a chevy.

Swing_it1986 11-03-2007 03:19 AM

You are totally right. And as I've said from the first post, a Mustang always was behind a GM counterpart in terms of power and performance in the Pony wars. And in an odd sense, it takes the respect out of it that you have to change and swap parts to make a Ford keep up with a stock GM car. Kinda like the Honda fad with kids these days, who need Turbo/NOS/Jet Turbine to have the same speed to perform with American muscle they call slow cars.

giants4life07 11-03-2007 11:25 PM

Hmmmm well the 3.4 liter maro had only 160 HP.. stock..you have to put some good stuff in your car. . I'm sure you can take the Mustang down ..................... remeber Found On Road Dead!!!!!

I got a 95 3.8 liter I'm working on some parts for it...
flowmaster and duel out pipes
with 2.50 all around headers as well...
air intake by K&N...
spark plugs and wires.
it's hittingaround 240 HP now...

ninetysixyenko 11-04-2007 07:28 PM

i took down a couple v8 mustangs with my 3.8.. there was quite a bit down to mine tho that i didnt know what it was... and idk what the mustangs were, but i know they were v8s(dual pipes, stock sound). but thats it. i had a plass pack(ya i know, eww, but sounded ok)on mine with 2.5inch pipe from cat back(no headers tho), CAI, 12inch wide tires, and it was geared, but idk what the gears were, i know they were Posi too( i redlined in with round 95/100) so needless to say, for a 3.8, it snapped very good. also had a alluminum driveshaft on it i think( it was nice and shiny, stuck out against rest of bottom side, lol). i could put her in 3rd, froma dead stop, bring her up to bout 3k rpms, pop the clutch and she'd smoke both 12" tires for a good 5 or 6 feet.

and thats with 136kmi and original plugs and wires lol. never got around to them.

giants4life07 11-04-2007 08:52 PM

12 inch tires? wow

ninetysixyenko 11-05-2007 06:21 PM

ORIGINAL: giants4life07

12 inch tires? wow
not quite sure if ur trying to be a smart as or not.. but 12" WIDE tires lol[8D]

yea.. if i remember, they were 275s, and if the formula i found was right, 275/23.4 ='s 11.75inchs.. i also measured them with a tape, inbetween 11 and 12, but not to accurate. couldnt really tell.

SpecterGT260 11-05-2007 06:24 PM

really? for some reason I thought 275's were only like 10 inches. I have them on my 9.5" rims and they dont stick out much