93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

What are all the possible MPG improvements? 3.4L

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Default What are all the possible MPG improvements? 3.4L

Considering that gas prices are creeping higher and higher, and I want a summer project, I shall pose this question to the forums.

Including rebuilding the engine, what all parts, tunes, replacements, and removing of unnecessary parts can be done to a 4th gen 3.4 liter? If it so happens to correspond for all engine types go ahead and state that as well.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:23 PM

I'm going to go ahead and point out some of the ones I know and their advantages:

LS1 Driveshaft Swap Swapping out the stock drive shaft for the LS1's reduces standing weight by 3 Lbs & moving weight by ~10-15; it also adds ~2 HP and ~5 ft pounds of torque almost all in the lower acceleration range where fuel is most used. Its also a relative cheap and easy job from what I hear.
Removing the Rear Seat Pretty self explanatory, but every pound helps I suppose, cutting weight anywhere possible and a Camaro Coupe is just cooler anyways.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Sure you want to do all that to a 3.4? I filled up this morning with my 3.8 5 speed and I averaged 29 MPG across the whole tank. That is mostly highway miles but at 75-80 MPH and some intown driving.

220 HP with 3:23 gears is not a bad perk either

Old 04-28-2011, 09:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The very best things you can do for your fuel economy is bump up your tire pressure (38-42 psi) and install a vacuum gauge. By keeping vacuum at a max, your putting a minimum load on your motor, improving mpgs.
Where will you be driving, back roads or highway? Up and down hills, the more weight the motor lugs around the harder it has to work. If you don't need it, pitch it. Unless you live in the sahara, make sure the AC system is on that list, as its heavy and saps power.
At highway speed, its all about aerodynamics. You're starting with a pretty good base, except for those recessed headlights. Get some covers. Also consider lowering it.
On to the motor. 3400/3500 top swap would be the first thing I'd do. Lose a lot of weight there, and the improved flow and compression would aid in efficiency. Next a high flow exhaust and underdrive pullies. If you got your weight low enough, manual steering would reduce weight and engine load further.
If you're talking a rebuild, have it blueprinted for 0/20 oil, balanced, and have the crank knife edged.
Run 0/20 synthetic oil in the motor, and 75/90 synthetic in the rear. Change your rear gears to a wider set.
Now for the kicker... if you do everything here, you will spend more on the car than you will ever get back. All these mods together are barely worth more than 5mpg.
The tires and careful use of that vacuum gauge is worth that.
In short, do what you can, but don't go spending thousands to save a few bucks at the pump

Last edited by inanitydefined; 04-28-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:12 PM

Already have an blown engine in my 3.4, have around 2k in the bank, and need a project this summer since I'm only taking one class.

Are there any extremely heavy parts that offer a low weight alternative? I know the rear hatch is extremely heavy on these, does anyone make a carbon fiber alternative?

Old 04-28-2011, 11:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

Just drive it with a light right foot and save your money. I would never pour $2,000 into a 3.4 liter V6 Camaro.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by AustinAckley
Are there any extremely heavy parts that offer a low weight alternative? I know the rear hatch is extremely heavy on these, does anyone make a carbon fiber alternative?
Most that that weight is glass. You can not replace glass with Carbon fiber. The hood can be replaced. If you plan is to rebuild that motor your going to need every penny of the 2K plus a little more to do it right.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:22 AM

idk but i would think it would take alot of gas to get back your $2000. my car get almost 30mpg too and I dont think your gunna get much better where its gunna be worth the time and money. you can borrow my truck its get 13mpg.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah if you have the money and want a project this summer I can see you doing this. But if this is a summer project, and you have another car, wouldn't you not be able to enjoy a great summer car this summer? I dunno just a thought. But I do agree with buffalo. Putting 2k into a 3.4l v6 wouldn't be my first choice. I had to do it because my camaro is my daily driver, and 2, I am hoping to be able to resell the car and I HOPE that I can get SOME of the money back. Just keep that in mind. Even if you put 3k into making your camaro get 30mpg, you probably won't get that back when/if you sell it. When people hear camaro they don't think, "I want 35mpg!!!" They usually think "Speed!" Its like when you see a prius, how often do you think " God I'd love to take that on a track" Just my opinion of the subject. Maybe buy a crapped up honda and rebuild that to get high mileage. Could still be a great learning process and fun .

Old 04-29-2011, 09:42 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah for 2k the best way to improve your mileage would be to buy a 3800 5spd...and even then ur only gonna see 29-31 driving nice on hwy.

Quick Reply: What are all the possible MPG improvements? 3.4L