93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

weird engine ticking noise when i start car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

damn that sound bad i had a 92 celica same sound it was a bent lifter sold the car or a hundred bucks the kid put about 800 into it and blew it up on the first drive

Old 03-30-2010, 12:33 AM
4th Gear Member

That sounds MUCH too loud to be sticking lifters. It might be though but it sounds like you got some bad bad piston slap. I'm gonna say you've got a bearing gone bad and the piston is slapping the head.

Then again if it's REALLY gunked up, I could see lifters making a lot of noise but that's almost too much..

Old 03-30-2010, 06:07 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

hay ofallah u still here? lol. whens the last time u changed the oil and filter and what kind of filter did u use? what kind of oil? did u foam it and if so did it make any difference?

Old 03-30-2010, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
hay ofallah u still here? lol. whens the last time u changed the oil and filter and what kind of filter did u use? what kind of oil? did u foam it and if so did it make any difference?
yeah what you doing???

Old 03-30-2010, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

seafoam it and mobil 1 syn wix filter then new engine time or rebuild. that sucks man....( just checked out vid)

Last edited by hevymetalg; 03-30-2010 at 06:36 PM. Reason: WHATS THE OIL LOOK LIKE?
Old 04-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Default Update

Sorry guys spring break have been gone from my computer for a while, okay so i added some more oil but same noise, the noise goes away sometimes and reappears sometimes, when my engine is cold in the morning the noise is there but if i start the car up later in the day when the sun has had its chance to warm it up then it doesnt make that sound. bought seafoam and going to apply it and then change the oil, oh and by the way the oil is changed every 3000 miles and last oil change was 1500 miles ago, and i think the shop i go to uses ****ty oil so not any synthetic. oh by the way when i bought the seafoam the guy said i could have it in the crankcase until next oilchange is that i good idea? i've seen a lot of suggestions to change the oil like 100 miles after adding it.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ofallah
Sorry guys spring break have been gone from my computer for a while, okay so i added some more oil but same noise, the noise goes away sometimes and reappears sometimes, when my engine is cold in the morning the noise is there but if i start the car up later in the day when the sun has had its chance to warm it up then it doesnt make that sound. bought seafoam and going to apply it and then change the oil, oh and by the way the oil is changed every 3000 miles and last oil change was 1500 miles ago, and i think the shop i go to uses ****ty oil so not any synthetic. oh by the way when i bought the seafoam the guy said i could have it in the crankcase until next oilchange is that i good idea? i've seen a lot of suggestions to change the oil like 100 miles after adding it.
yeah drive it for like 60 miles then change it. then do a oil change again around 1000 miles. then mobile 1 synthetic and a wix filter good luck if not ebay lol!

Old 04-02-2010, 12:18 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ofallah
Change your oil... Put seafoam in with oil. After 250 miles, change your oil again.

Sounds like a sticky lifter since you said when it's cold it does it more. If seafoam doesn't work and after you seafoam it try a thinner synthetic oil (5w-30 Mobil 1 for example) and see if it doesn't fix the problem.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to replace the lifters. DON'T get OE-R lifters as they are VERY noisy. Just get the OE type and you'll be fine.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Default Update

Okay so sorry it took me a long time to reply guys, so i did seafoam the car, basically put some seafoam in the crankcase and the brake booster. drove the car for 30 miles and then changed oil. Added some high mileage synthetic blend and changed the oil filter....so hoping that the car will not make the sound.....but will let you guys know if the problem was solved or not.

Thank you all for the help.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:49 AM

i would definetly pull the valve cover to give that baby a peak.... i heard that same type of noise when a escape came into the shop that i work... it turned out to be a valve spring that broke. good luck

Quick Reply: weird engine ticking noise when i start car!!!