93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Water pump leakage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Default Water pump leakage?

I have a '95 V6 3.4L Camaro and I noticed today I'm losing a LOT of water. I took a look and it appears to be going down my oil pan, and down my engine. On the passenger side of my engine on the front is the water pump, and the leak appears to be in-between my water pump and my block... It's difficult to say if it's coming from the weep hole or not.

Please check this image to see where I'm talking about under the hood:

(I believe it's the water pump/weep hole, but I'm trying to get a second opinion).

Any advice or pictures would be a great help to me!!!

Old 09-28-2009, 09:20 PM

i had a similar problem and i just replaced the whole pump. it costed around 20 bucks so not too expensive and now its fine. idk thats just what i did

Old 09-29-2009, 09:09 AM

I was considering trying that, but today I squeezed the upper radiator hose and it wasn't hot or under pressure, so I also believe my thermostat isn't working properly.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It there is coolant coming out of the weap hole of the pump replace it. You may also need a thermostat. Its a pretty good idea to replace the thermostat everytime you do a pump. A bad thermostat will not cause coolant to come out of the weap hole. A bad main seal in the pump will.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:44 AM

I'm going to replace the entire pump this weekend, I just wonder where the weep hole is on my 95 3.4L? The water is coming out the left side of the water pump, is that where it would be?

Old 09-29-2009, 12:00 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Weep hole is always ahead of the main seal on the pump shaft. Which should be inline with the pulley. The wind can blow it anywhere from there. You should clean it up and pressure test it.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:12 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

could be a bad gasket but do what gorn says and issolate the leak, if its the gasket i would say for the price change the pump while your at it just to be sure u wont be takin the thing out again in a couple months.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:14 PM

The main seal on the water pump? I imagine I'd replace that when I change out the water pump anyway...

Or did you guys mean a different main seal?

Thanks for all the help!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:12 AM

I replaced the water pump and that fixed the leaking. I believe it was actually the gasket itself and not the water pump, but it didn't hurt to replace the whole thing.

Here's an image of the semi-completed install.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:47 PM

(89 camaro RS with a 95 3.4 engine) I also recently changed my water pump and pulley, and their is water/coolant leaking out of the far left bolt on the water pump (when looking at it). My step-father was wanting to just put a type of bolt sealant or something on it, would this work or is their a more indepth problem problem. I just do NOT want to "N-rig" my car...i want to PROPERLY put everything together so my car is SOUND and i do NOT have to worry about the same problems in the future...

Quick Reply: Water pump leakage?