93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Vent problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Default Vent problem

For some reason now the vents got stuck in the defroster/floor position, and it will not move, it makes a constant hissing sound that will go away with more gas put on the pedal, not when the RPMs are higher. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

Old 01-20-2007, 11:58 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Vent problem

sounds like a Vaccum leak.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:28 AM

Its real strange, the vents always made an almost like hydrolic sound, and its like that sounds stuck on now and the vents refuse to change. It blows heat and all, but I gotta fix this problem before spring.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:30 AM
Overdrive Member

The defrost/floor position is a default if something goes wrong. Like in your case. Maybe the problem is in the selector switch. I have seen a small pin on them break and it could leave the dial in there in a halfway spot.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:42 PM

ORIGINAL: MadMikeZ28

The defrost/floor position is a default if something goes wrong. Like in your case. Maybe the problem is in the selector switch. I have seen a small pin on them break and it could leave the dial in there in a halfway spot.
Okay, do you have any suggestions as to where I should start? Go to the switch and work my way to electrical and so on? It worked fine but it was extremely cold for 2 days and I went to start it and it started fine but I could hear the sound like it was trying to change vent paths and realized it wouldnt switch positions. I didnt realize thats the default and I'm rather happy, I almost always have it on floor and defrost anyways so I assumed it was stuck. Hopefully someone can give me an idea of where to start cause this time of year I can only use the garage for short periods, since my garage isnt finished and I use my neighbors, which has cars in it they work on constantly. So like I said any help would be appreciated. When I have the engine off usually I can switch the position still and you can hear it, but now it just turns normally and I dont hear the click for the change, its probably something simple. Thanks for all the help and any more that is given

Old 01-29-2007, 04:38 PM

anyone got any suggestions..?

Old 01-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Overdrive Member

Start at the switch and look for where the hiss is coming from. If you hear the hiss you are getting your vacuum from the motor to inside the car. The vacuum would have to lead to the switch. Some where in between the fire wall and the switch there could be a break in the line. Maybe the seal in the switch is bad and is not holding the vacuum any more. Maybe the switch is broke and caught in the middle of two positions.