93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

trouble code p 440

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:57 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default trouble code p 440

i have a 2002 chevy camaro and am getting the p 440 code. i replaced the gas cap and the check engine lite still pops up after i clear the code. what else could be the problem. i have a strong fuel smell coming from the rear of the car.awhile back i cut a hole in the trunk area to gain access to the fuel pump. i had to replace it and found on google that you can cut a hole back there and just replace the fuel pump that way. but anyways i get a really strong fuel smell every now and then in the car my guess is its coming from that hole i cut. i put a piece of metal over the hole and covered it back up with the carpet but i havent sealed it back up yet. i was told that the fuel pump might not be making a good seal with the gas tank also. any ideas

Old 03-02-2011, 12:14 AM
3rd Gear Member

Could be a bad seal or a loose conection with a fuel line. Have you changed the fuel filter recently? Lift up the piece you cut put and chance the tank for any cuts. Also check your fuel pressure. Maybe a bad regulator.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Overdrive Member

The FPR will not cause the 440 code. The seal on the tank, filler neck, EVAP system hoses, purge valve, and gas cap are all common causes. Damaged charcoal canister is another cause but not a common one.

Massey

Old 03-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Check to make sure whatever re-connections you made after changing the pump aren't leaking.
If you're smelling gas from that area, something is leaking.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

im going to look at all the hoses and check everything tomorrow. how would i know if the hoses are leaking

Old 03-13-2011, 09:23 AM
In the Staging Lanes

This is not like the cars of the 50's, 60's or even 70's. In the older cars you had a fuel pump on the engine that sucked gas out of the tank so the entire hose was under a vacuum. On the Camaro since the pump is in the tank and it is fuel injected the entire hose system to the engine both sending and returning is under about 40 PSI. If there is a hole in one of those you will know it.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Overdrive Member

Ah, you mean P0440...

Document ID# 794651
2002 Chevrolet Camaro
DTC P0440

System Description

The control module tests the evaporative emission (EVAP) system for a large leak. The control module monitors the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor signal to determine the EVAP system vacuum level. When the conditions for running are met, the control module commands the EVAP canister purge valve OPEN and the EVAP vent valve CLOSED . This allows engine vacuum to enter the EVAP system. At a calibrated time, or vacuum level, the control module commands the EVAP canister purge valve closed, sealing the system, and monitors the FTP sensor input in order to determine the EVAP system vacuum level. If the system is unable to achieve the calibrated vacuum level, or the vacuum level decreases too rapidly, this DTC sets.

The following table illustrates the relationship between the ON and OFF states, and the OPEN or CLOSED states of the EVAP canister purge and vent valves.

Control Module Command

EVAP Canister Purge Valve

EVAP Canister Vent Valve

ON

Open

Closed

OFF

Closed

Open

Conditions for Running the DTC

DTCs P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0125, P0443, P0449, P0452, P0453, P1106, P1107, P1112, P1114, P1120, P1220, or P1221 are not set.
The ignition voltage is between 10-18 volts.
The barometric pressure (BARO) is more than 75 kPa.
The fuel level is between 15-85 percent.
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between 4-30°C (39-86°F).
The intake air temperature (IAT) is between 4-30°C (39-86°F).
The start-up ECT and the IAT are within 9°C (16°F).
The vehicle speed sensor (VSS) is less than 121 km/h (75 mph).
Conditions For Setting the DTC

The EVAP system is not able to achieve or maintain vacuum during the diagnostic test.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The control module will illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) during the second consecutive trip in which the diagnostic test ran and failed.
The control module will store conditions which were present when the DTC set as Freeze Frame and Failure Records data.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

The control module will turn the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) OFF during the first consecutive trip in which the diagnostic has been run and passed.
A last test failed (current DTC) clears when the control module turns OFF the MIL.
The history DTC will clear after the control module runs and passes 40 consecutive warm up cycles with no failure.
The DTC can be cleared by using a scan tool.
Diagnostic Aids

Use the J 41413 EVAP Pressure/Purge Diagnostic Station in order to pressurize the EVAP system to aid in locating intermittent leaks. Move all EVAP components while testing with the J 41416 Ultrasonic Leak Detector.
A temporary blockage in the EVAP canister purge valve, purge pipe or EVAP canister could cause an intermittent condition. To repair a blockage in the EVAP system refer to Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Cleaning .
Reviewing the Failure Records vehicle mileage since the diagnostic test last failed may help determine how often the condition that caused the DTC to be set occurs. This may assist in diagnosing the condition.
Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

This step is used to verify if a leak is present.

This step verifies proper operation of the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor.

This step tests the EVAP canister purge valve for a restriction or blockage.

DTC P0440

Step

Action

Values

Yes

No

Schematic Reference: Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Hose Routing Diagram

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check-Engine Controls?

--

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls

Does the scan tool indicate DTC P0443 or DTC P0449 are also set?

--

Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List

Go to Step 3

Inspect the evaporative emission (EVAP) system for the following conditions:
Loose, missing, or damaged service port schrader valve
Loose, incorrect, missing, or damaged fuel fill cap
A damaged EVAP canister purge valve
Raise the vehicle on a hoist. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Inspect the EVAP system for the following conditions:
Disconnected, improperly routed, kinked, or damaged EVAP pipes and hoses
A damaged EVAP canister vent valve or EVAP canister
Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 18

Go to Step 4

Important

The following steps require the J 41413 EVAP Pressure/Purge Diagnostic Station and the J 41415 Fuel Fill Cap Adaptor .

Always zero the EVAP pressure and vacuum in H2O gages on the EVAP pressure diagnostic station before proceeding with diagnosis.

Install the J 41415 .
Connect the J 41413 and the vehicle fuel fill cap to the J 41415 .
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
With the scan tool, seal the EVAP system.
With the J 41413 , pressurize the system to the specified value.
Rotate the EVAP pressure/purge diagnostic station rotary switch to the OFF/HOLD position. Monitor the pressure gage for 1 minute.
Did you obtain and hold the specified value?

5 in H2O

Go to Step 5

Go to Step 7

Compare the EVAP pressure/purge diagnostic station value to the scan tool fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor value.

Does EVAP pressure/purge diagnostic station value measure near the scan tool value?

--

Go to Step 6

Go to Step 11

Monitor the pressure gage on the J 41413 .
Disconnect the EVAP purge pipe from the EVAP purge valve.
Does the EVAP system pressure decrease?

--

Go to Step 8

Go to Step 9

With the J 41413 , continuously pressurize the EVAP system.

Important

It may be necessary to partially lower the fuel tank to inspect components located in the upper portion of the tank.

With the J 41416 Ultrasonic Leak Detector, inspect for leaks in the following locations:
The EVAP system purge pipe--Refer to Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Hoses/Pipes Replacement - Engine/Chassis .
The EVAP vapor pipe--Refer to Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Hoses/Pipes Replacement - Canister/Fuel Tank .
The EVAP vent hose/pipe--Refer to Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Vent Valve Replacement .
The fuel fill pipe/hose and fuel fill cap--Refer to Filler Tube Replacement .
The EVAP canister--Refer to Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Replacement .
The EVAP canister vent valve--Refer to Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Vent Valve Replacement .
The EVAP canister purge valve--Refer to Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Valve Replacement .
The fuel sender assembly and/or seal--Refer to Fuel Sender Assembly Replacement .
The fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor seal--Refer to Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Replacement .
The fill limiter vent valve, pressure relief valve, rollover valve, or fuel tank--Refer to Fuel Tank Replacement .
Did you locate and repair the system?

--

Go to Step 18

Go to Diagnostic Aids

Attach a vacuum gage to the purge pipe port of the EVAP purge valve.
Start and idle the engine.
Command the EVAP purge valve to 50 percent with a scan tool.
Does the vacuum gage show vacuum more than the specified value?

10 in H2O

Go to Intermittent Conditions

Go to Step 12

Monitor the pressure gage on EVAP pressure/purge diagnostic station.
Disconnect the EVAP purge pipe from the EVAP canister.

--

Go to Step 14

Go to Step 10

Monitor the pressure gage on EVAP pressure/purge diagnostic station.
Disconnect the EVAP vapor line from the EVAP canister.

--

Go to Step 17

Go to Step 13

Monitor the FTP voltage with a scan tool.

Is the FTP voltage more than the specified value?

4.3 V

Go to DTC P0453

Go to Step 15

Inspect the vacuum source to the EVAP purge valve for the following conditions:
Blockage
Cuts
Disconnects
Repair as necessary.
Did you find and correct the condition?

--

Go to Step 18

Go to Step 16

Repair for a pinched or obstructed EVAP vapor pipe.

Did you complete the repair?

--

Go to Step 18

--

Repair the restriction in the EVAP purge pipe. Refer to Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System Cleaning .

--

Go to Step 18

--

Replace the FTP sensor. Refer to Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?

--

Go to Step 18

--

Replace the EVAP purge valve. Refer to Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Valve Replacement .

--

Go to Step 18

--

Replace the EVAP canister. Refer to Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Replacement .

--

Go to Step 18

--

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Command the EVAP vent valve ON with a scan tool.

Important

Do not exceed the specified value in the step. Exceeding the specified value may produce incorrect test results.

Pressurize the EVAP system to the specified value with the J 41413 .
Place the control **** on the J 41413 to the OFF/HOLD position.
Monitor the EVAP system pressure on the J 41413 for 5 minutes.
Does the scan tool indicate that the Service Bay Test passed?

5 in H2O

Go to Step 19

Go to Step 7

Monitor the pressure gage on the J 41413 .
Command the EVAP purge valve to 50 percent.

--

Go to Step 20

Go to Step 9

With a scan tool, observe the stored information, Capture Info.

Does the scan tool display any DTCs that you have not diagnosed?

--

Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List

System OK

Document ID# 794651
2002 Chevrolet Camaro

Old 03-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Overdrive Member

Also:
Document ID# 824194
2002 Chevrolet Camaro
Info - Evaporative Emissions DTC P0440, P0441, P0442, P0446 #00-06-04-011A - (Oct 4, 2001)

Evaporative Emissions DTC P0440, P0441, P0442, P0446
1996-2002 Passenger Cars and Trucks

With Enhanced Evaporative Emissions Engines

Except 1998-1999 Chevrolet Prizm

This bulletin is being revised to add model years and diagnostic enhancements. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-06-04-011 (Section 6-Engine).

Enhanced Evaporative Emissions testing of 1996 and newer vehicles with enhanced evaporative emissions requires more stringent testing of the fuel system for evaporative emissions leaks. Vehicles with this system use an on-board diagnostic module (i.e. Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Vehicle Control Module (VCM) as the controller. For the balance of this bulletin, we will refer to either of these components as a module.

Enhanced Evaporative Emission tests may be performed by the vehicle's module when specific conditions are met. These conditions are determined by the calibration within the module. These calibrations are vehicle platform and engine family specific.

When the key is turned to the start or run position, the module checks the output of various sensors on the vehicle to determine when and if the Evaporative Emissions tests should be run. Refer to Engine Controls sub-section of the appropriate Service Manual for specific DTC information.

Some of the most widely used parameters are listed below:

The Barometric Pressure (BARO) is greater than a specified kPa (psi).
The system voltage is between 10 and 18 volts.
The intake air temperature (IAT) is within specified temperature values.
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is within specified temperature values.
The ECT and IAT are within specified temperatures of each other when the vehicle engine was started.
The fuel level sensor indicates the fuel level is greater than a specified % of empty and less than a specified % of full. (For a 76 L (20 gal) fuel tank, a fuel level of more than 11 L (3 gal) but less than 64 L (17 gal) or as specified in the calibration).
Some platforms such as the Alero and Grand Am, use a miles driven check as well.
For the ECT and IAT to be within the specified temperatures of each other at the time of engine start-up, the engine will have to be in the non-running condition for a long enough period of time for the engine coolant temperature to drop from its normal operating temperature down to roughly 30°C (90°F). This could take several hours.

When the control module determines that the above conditions are met, the module tests for a leak in the EVAP system by:

Electrically closing the vent valve in order to seal the system.
Electrically opening the purge valve which allows the running engine to draw a vacuum on the fuel tank.
The module then closes the purge valve, resealing the system.
The module then monitors the fuel tank pressure sensor and determines:
If vacuum was achieved.
If a leak is present, how large the leak is.
If vacuum was not achieved.
If one of the above tests fails, the module remembers that the system failed the test.
If the module sees a failure of the EVAP test for two consecutive tests, the module will set a trouble code for EVAP leak (DTCs P0440, P0442, or P0446).

Important

If the PCM is completing the EVAP diagnostic, filling of the fuel tank cannot be completed as the vent valve will be closed and the fuel dispenser nozzle will sense the pressure build-up and shut down. This is the expected result. No parts should be replaced as nothing is faulty. To keep from encountering this situation, it is imperative all customers and dealership personnel be advised NOT TO FILL THE FUEL TANK WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. If the condition is encountered, turn the ignition to the OFF position for a minute. This will allow the PCM to go to sleep completely, thereby opening the vent valve.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Old 03-13-2011, 09:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well i removed the fuel pump and inspected the rubber seal between the tank and the pump and it is still in great condition. i was hoping it would be bad cause that would have solved my problem. the little that i could see of the hoses they looked fine. from the part i cut i cant see too far down to the top of the canister to check those hoses. i really dont want to cut any more metal away. so i just said screw it and put my plate back on the hole i cut and sealed it back up. maybe the canister is bad maybe not i dont know. if its not the canister or the hoses what else could be the problem? i dont know where to go next except to put it in the shop.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:31 AM
In the Staging Lanes

im really hoping that someone reads this and tells me they had the same problem so i can do the same thing to get this fixed already. i do know that the gas cap is good because it tested good so im counting that out. so next i guess it could be the purge valve, purge solenoid?? ive even heard of maybe the filler neck could be cracked. i havent checked that but how could that get cracked and is that a common issue. help!!!!!

Quick Reply: trouble code p 440