93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Transmition fluid issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Default RE: Transmition fluid issue

Alrighty, I am back with my hands dirty.
Being a newbie and it taking me most of the day, i opened up the pan which reaked of that burnt smell i had. Once all the bolts were done it took a little playing around to actually get the pan to drop.
I read on the internet that i have to clean whatever is in there with solvant? required step? I have some gewy fluid still droping as i am typing this, cleaning all those parts would be a nightmare, if so; what solvent should i use?(not complaining of course.. im actually having fun!)
Can i give it a good wipe, inspect it, replace the filter and re-close it?
Cheers,

G

Old 10-14-2007, 04:10 PM

Alrighty, I'm back.
So after spending the day on it yesterday, refilling the proper fluids, making sure my engine coolant was fine i took it for a ride around the block.
First impressions, the gear change is amazingly smooth! never been that smooth! the little vibrations I used to have when the car was in parc are GONE. So i start getting happy and proud about my work when i get back close to my house. And there, Comes the white smoke again! poped the hood open and it comes from that same area close to the transmition fluid dipstick, not from it though. There appears to be some fluid leak around there that is buring. By the smell of it it is my tansmition fluid. Are there any weak spots from a little part that i should be aware of and i could replace?
-I was almost happy...lol
Cheers,

Gerland.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:19 PM

Sorry for flooding this topic. I might have a hypethis to share with you guys. After a thorough look under the hood, i have found a tiny rubber piece that is leaking. As i don't have much of a clue, here is a picture from the owner's manual and i have encircled the part i am talking about. Could the fluid coming out of this leak actually burn on the hot part of the engine and cause the smoke? (it seems the smoke doesn't come from a particular spot but rather an "area".
Thanks for all the support!
G.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10166/8CB2A83A5E3849BBA096276A4455684B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Overdrive Member

What you have circled appears to be part of the EGR system. There shouldn't be any rubber pieces on it. The only thing that would leak out is exhaust fumes. Is what you circled on that sketch, or just in the area?

Old 10-14-2007, 05:57 PM

where the metalic tube joins the "engine" in the red circle i madeis a small rubber elbow. This rubber elbow is almost a right angle and seems to be attached to a black plastic cover underneath. I can easily take the metallic tube out of it and back in and it seems there is a leak of something at the base of that elbow.
Hope this helps.
G.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:37 AM
Overdrive Member

ORIGINAL: Gerland

where the metalic tube joins the "engine" in the red circle i madeis a small rubber elbow. This rubber elbow is almost a right angle and seems to be attached to a black plastic cover underneath. I can easily take the metallic tube out of it and back in and it seems there is a leak of something at the base of that elbow.
Hope this helps.
G.
What you are describing here sounds like the PCV system. If it's leaking, oil vapors/residue would be coming out. The oil would smoke if it came into contact with a significant amount of heat.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Overdrive Member

Replace the elbow, I had the exact same problem, except no white smoke as the leak was not as significant. Most auto stores have the replacement or can order it.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Overdrive Member

What does the elbow go to?

Old 10-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Overdrive Member

Glad it worked out for you. I would be alert/cautious to see if the trans issues have truly disappeared -- give it some time before driving it hard.

ORIGINAL: Gerland

Alrighty, I'm back.
So after spending the day on it yesterday, refilling the proper fluids, making sure my engine coolant was fine i took it for a ride around the block.
First impressions, the gear change is amazingly smooth! never been that smooth! the little vibrations I used to have when the car was in parc are GONE. So i start getting happy and proud about my work when i get back close to my house. And there, Comes the white smoke again! poped the hood open and it comes from that same area close to the transmition fluid dipstick, not from it though. There appears to be some fluid leak around there that is buring. By the smell of it it is my tansmition fluid. Are there any weak spots from a little part that i should be aware of and i could replace?
-I was almost happy...lol
Cheers,

Gerland.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:51 PM

Howdy my Camaro friends.
I only got the PCV valve last night, i installed it today. after 2 rounds around the bloc.. NO SMOKE!!! by that time i had to go get gas cuz there was NADA in there. i got to the gas station and checked my fluid level.. the 4 quarts i had put are GONE. there was almost no fluid in my tranny. 2 things, my car got towed this week (wrong side of the street parking) (yea, i know, great week don't you think) i only got it back yesterday. I had noticed a little fluid under my car about a week after i had filled it, but nothing major. I figured i needed to tighten the bolts a little more. I might have another hypothesis.. a begginers mistake when i refilled it.. i kinda went the easy way and filled it throught the dipstick tube.. Either by here you are laughing, feeling sorry for me or maybe it wasnt that bad of an idea.
Anywho, with the new cap i definatly see a major change, it doesnt smoke like a california fire anymore. (but that just may be bacuse there is no fluid to burn..) any ideas?

Quick Reply: Transmition fluid issue