93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Torque converter problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Default Torque converter problem?

I have a 93 base 3.4l camaro(150k miles). The problem is when the car is cold it takes bout 5 sec., once it's put into R or D, before it actually slides into gear. When everything is already warm or the car has just been driven this isn't a problem. Also, while in OD on the highway the car rides about 5-700 rpm higher than it should. the converter isnt locking up.
I know this because if I press the gas slowly while cruising, which at about 60mph, it will lock and drop 500 rpm. Could this be a bad tps sensor? But it taking awhile to go into gear in the cold makes me think it's the converter slipping.I've already changed the oil and filter and it's full, but it's starting to get dark again from the converter not locking. any ideas? anything i can check?

Old 03-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 93 slickrs
I have a 93 base 3.4l camaro(150k miles). The problem is when the car is cold it takes bout 5 sec., once it's put into R or D, before it actually slides into gear. When everything is already warm or the car has just been driven this isn't a problem. Also, while in OD on the highway the car rides about 5-700 rpm higher than it should. the converter isnt locking up.
I know this because if I press the gas slowly while cruising, which at about 60mph, it will lock and drop 500 rpm. Could this be a bad tps sensor? But it taking awhile to go into gear in the cold makes me think it's the converter slipping.I've already changed the oil and filter and it's full, but it's starting to get dark again from the converter not locking. any ideas? anything i can check?
Two different problems. The torque coverter clutch has nothing to do with how the car starts out cold. How the torgue converter starts moving the car would not be effected much by heat unless the fluid was like syrup and it would most likely have the opposite effect clanking into gear cold and slipping hot.

Tranny 101, A transmission that slips cold has hard seals, The seals soften once the fluid warms up. The fluid warms very quickly because the clutchs are sliping. A Transmissions that slips hot have worn or glazzed clutchs.

If you need this transmission to last allow the car a warm up period. As long as you do not try to drive the car while its in this "slip mode" it could last awhile. You want the car to sit in park for a minute or two then put it in gear. After the warm up time it should go right in gear with no delay. If there is a delay try to wait a little longer the next day. Every time you feel that delay you are killing you clutchs. If you keep slipping your clutchs the extra heat will cause the seal to get harder and it will crack and fail completely.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-05-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:33 PM

Thanks for the response. I do need it to last for now. So I will def. let it warm up before I drive.

Could the hard seals make it have low pump pressure making the TC act up like that in OD?
Are these seals something i can replace if i drop the trans?

Old 03-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Overdrive Member

You sure its not just the shifter linkage that has an issue? It happened to me on my 3.4L years ago where Drive acted like neutral, etc.

From the sound of it, you will have a tranny repair in your near future, since I also had that similar experience at highway speeds in my SS prior to the tranny swap...

Old 03-05-2010, 06:05 PM

ya, the linkage is good, just takes abit before it moves in drive, but its good when it's warm. I was hoping it was just the converter and not the trans. I've found a bunch of camaro trans for sale locally but they are all 4l60e's and mine being a 93 has the 4l60...this sucks

Old 03-05-2010, 07:03 PM

The seals that you are talking about that are prolly hard now. Is that in the pump, because I found a rebuild pump for 200 and a used front pump for 60...

Last edited by 93 slickrs; 03-05-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:34 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Its the first gear clutch pack seal. Before you try to fix anything you should have it checked by a shop. A quick pressure test to verify that the pressure is dropping off when you put into gear will prove it. You are talking a rebuild to fix it. Once you start pulling clutch packs you 70% into a rebuild anyway.

Once the seal grabs and the car starts moving forward I doubt the seal still leaks. If it did you would have issues with the 1-2 shift and again in 3 gear. There is one other thing you can try but only if it get worse and you have to keep the car running. I say that cause it is risky.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:47 PM

It shifts great 1-2. I know it's a v6 but it barked the tires once leavin a light. 1 and 2 gears are great, the shifts into 3rd and 4th seems slower. Then acts up in OD when the TC is unlocked then locks if i give it gas slowly. What's the risky thing to try?

Old 03-05-2010, 07:57 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The seals can be softened using chemicals. The reason I said its risky is because the seals can swell and they can become too soft. Both of those conditions will leave you dead in the water. Even if the treatment fixs your bad seal it could damage a working seal.

These transmission rebuilds in a can work on this premiss. If they help 1 in 10 cars that one guy tells everyone that it works. Forget about the 4 people who's car stopped all together 5 days after they added the stuff, "Hey it was a failing trans anyway, we cant fix them all"

Old 03-05-2010, 08:14 PM

Ya i wouldn't put chemicals in it. Do you have a guide of what other GM vehicles the 4l60 came in. So I can try to find a replacement, or do you know off hand? It's hard for me to find a someone selling one from a 93 v6..94+ had the 4l60e.

Quick Reply: Torque converter problem?