93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Threw a "Rod"??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Unhappy Threw a "Rod"??

Guys and Gals, I think I threw a rod. Racing a Mustang when I heard a rattlying sound out of engine towards back part. I cruised toward the mechanic, before I got there it stalled out and would not turn over. 99 Camaro 3.8 III engine. The heads are new. New lifters from Autozone. New water pump and serpentine belt. New sensors. I was already having clutch issues, slipping. The engine is now out and on the floor. Now the questions are these? However on a tight budget. Engine has about 144,000

1. I am going to replace the slave and master clutch assembly. I am going to replace the clutch plate itself with a new kit. I have reasearched on Ebay and this is what I found out.
a. All stage 1 clutches, Auto Express $115.97, F1 Racing $121.56, XTR $132.00, Exedy Gripforce $138.94 and Bahnhof HD for $139.57.
b. Stage II XTR $153.00, F1 Racing $143.00, Bahnhof $169.67.
I need to research on how much presure each clutch has which I know will make the difference. My question here is anyone heard of any of these and how good they are.

2. I am thinking about installing headers not sure to go with black painted Pace Setters @ $240.99 or another brand I found stainless OBX @ 298.99. Does anyone know if there is a significant difference on coated and uncoated?

3. I also thinking about getting my heads and short block "Ectruded Hone AFM" Research show how it will increase airflow without having to do the internal grinding of ports.

4. A new Cam. Not sure here. I have heard that I can install an RV Cam with out much modifications. Ie. lifters, springs and etc?

5. Repair whatever went wrong with short block?? Also while engine out think about going in there and scrubbing engine compartment out, perhaps adding and extra shield fire wall between between engine and enterior (if I can). Mainly for sound barrier. Perhaps painting parts of engine with high heat GM orange??

Guys and Gals, any advise is welcomed.

Last edited by thor9812; 02-13-2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: not finished
Old 02-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

i think your missing a little bit of your post i dont see a question as for throwing a rod if you drove with it like that odds are you need a whole new engine

Old 02-13-2011, 12:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

@ Basic Concepts, OHHH, I guess I better start to research the cost of short 3.8 block?? My mechanic has not broken engine apart. Your knowledge, can this little 3.8 not be restored? Thanks

Old 02-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

odds are youve done some serious damage to the block if it was a rod that means it broke could have gouged up the cylinder wall shattered the piston metal all in the engine spin bearings the list goes on... i can get a short block for 100$ so there not to bad but having a mechanic do this work is gunna be like 1000$+ unless hes your friend if you can do this yourself i strongly suggest it and save the money

Old 02-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

Originally Posted by thor9812
Guys and Gals, I think I threw a rod. Racing a Mustang when I heard a rattlying sound out of engine towards back part. I cruised toward the mechanic, before I got there it stalled out and would not turn over. 99 Camaro 3.8 III engine. The heads are new. New lifters from Autozone. New water pump and serpentine belt. New sensors. I was already having clutch issues, slipping. The engine is now out and on the floor. Now the questions are these? However on a tight budget. Engine has about 144,000

1. I am going to replace the slave and master clutch assembly. I am going to replace the clutch plate itself with a new kit. I have reasearched on Ebay and this is what I found out.
a. All stage 1 clutches, Auto Express $115.97, F1 Racing $121.56, XTR $132.00, Exedy Gripforce $138.94 and Bahnhof HD for $139.57.
b. Stage II XTR $153.00, F1 Racing $143.00, Bahnhof $169.67.
I need to research on how much presure each clutch has which I know will make the difference. My question here is anyone heard of any of these and how good they are.

2. I am thinking about installing headers not sure to go with black painted Pace Setters @ $240.99 or another brand I found stainless OBX @ 298.99. Does anyone know if there is a significant difference on coated and uncoated?

3. I also thinking about getting my heads and short block "Ectruded Hone AFM" Research show how it will increase airflow without having to do the internal grinding of ports.

4. A new Cam. Not sure here. I have heard that I can install an RV Cam with out much modifications. Ie. lifters, springs and etc?

5. Repair whatever went wrong with short block?? Also while engine out think about going in there and scrubbing engine compartment out, perhaps adding and extra shield fire wall between between engine and enterior (if I can). Mainly for sound barrier. Perhaps painting parts of engine with high heat GM orange??

Guys and Gals, any advise is welcomed.
1 a stock clutch will do unless your planning on getting more power out of her

2 pacesetters are goo but ceramic coated is the way to go eventually the paint will burn

3 just get a new shortblock get them honed if you can afford it but i havent heard anything on that

4 im not to knowledgeable on cams but if you change the cam your going to need to do the rockers and springs

5 again replace the shortblock and yes clean everything as good as you can i dont think anything will fit between the engine and firewall and paint is always a nice personal touch

Old 02-13-2011, 12:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

@ Basis Concepts,
Thanks for the info. I think I am going to excuse my self and go to restroom and worship the porcelain god. While doing that I will be thinking of a 5.7 and tranny?

Old 02-13-2011, 12:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

@ Basic Concepts,
Seriously thanks for all the info. You may want to read this article that I found. Apparently this is suppose to be the 3.8 dream car. Thanks

http://www.camarohomepage.com/project/

Old 02-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

mmmm... if you want a v8 sell your car and buy a V8 it will cost you sooooooooo much money and 100s of hours to swap a V8

Old 02-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Overdrive Member

Check out this thread.

https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-v6-tech-14/3800-series-ii-iii-engine-replacement-info-57568/

This tells you all the different ways you can get a new engine and what has to be done to swap a FWD engine to your Camaro. You can save a TON of money by just replacing the engine with a salvaged engine and replacing a few gaskets.

A mild cam will be OK with your stock springs but anthing over a mild cam you will want to consider better springs and rockers. Any cam change will requiring a tune to get the engine to run properly.

Unless you are planning on putting down some serious power the stock clutch will be just fine. If you have bad master or slave, or a simple worn out disk you will get a slipping clutch. V8 transmissions will not fit the V6 bells, and the V8 Bells wont fit the V6 engine.

If you want the V8 just buy a V8 car... Trust me on this one since you just about need a whole doner car that has not been stripped of any parts. Just trust me here.

Massey

Old 02-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

A thrown rod is when the rod becomes disconnected from the crank it normally damages the cyclinder wall making the motor non-repairable. A spun rod bearing (much more common in a 3800 SII motor) would mean the crank would need ground the rod replaced. Plus a complete rebuild. Since its a high miles motor that should include boring the cylinders. These types of rebuilds are pricey. It is normaly cheaper to buy a reman engine then to rebuild a damaged engine.

Clutch
I will disagree with every one here. You do not want a stock clutch or a Stage 1 clutch. When I did my motor I did a ton of research and there are these "stock" pressure plates that come out of China, they are complete crap. Even the AC delco one. I found dozens of post from people that had to replace "New" clutchs within months of its install. None of them though the repalcemnt clutch was anywhere near the original one. I searched the net and listed all the "Cheap" clutchs cause I am a cheap guy. For everyone I could find one pissed off poster after another. I worked my way up the price scale then I found the centerforce dual friction clutch. Everyone that had one loved it. It is a great 3.8 clutch. There is one guy (from another forum) named Meatyshell that burned up a Spec stage 2 clutch in 3 months but he was loving the the Centerforce. It has the stock feel with almost twice the holding power of the original clutch.

Headers
Pace Setters Vs OBX.
Pace Setters will give you the easiest install. OBX's are decent coppies of the pacesetters but they are not exact. Some people have a tuff time with fit. When I did mine I had to get different flange bolts because the ones suppied where way to short and I had to use a EGR mount off a 02 motor instead of the 96 motor. I had trouble getting the 96 to bend enough to fit. BUT the OBX look good. They have a nice thick flanges. and I have not had any issues driving it as my daily drive for 30,000 miles since installed. They turned a nice gold color.

Check out the built thread in my Sig.

Used motor is the way to go unless you want over 260 HP. If you want to push thess V6s then Pistons, rings, headgaskets, Rod and main bolts should all be upgraded to better then stock..

Last edited by Gorn; 02-13-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Threw a "Rod"??