93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Starting problems

My 98 3.8 starts right up sometime and sometime it turns over for awhile before it starts. It's not throwing any codes. What could this be?

Old 03-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Overdrive Member
Default RE: Starting problems

Does it take awhile to start after it's been sitting awhile, or is it just random?

Old 03-19-2008, 03:28 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It's does it random. Hot or cold.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Overdrive Member

By awhile, I mean time wise... For example leaving it for an hour, vise a couple of minutes. What I'm getting at, is the fuel pump has a check valve. This valve allows flow only one way, that way when the fuel pump is not running (i.e. your car is off), pressure holds in the line. If it leaks or sticks open, the fuel pressure will bleed off back to the tank. If you let it sit awhile, and go to start it quickly (not letting the fuel pump prime), it may take a time or two to start. Try turning the key to on, wait a few seconds, and then start it. If this is the case, it's not something to worry about, as it affects nothing while engine is running.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yeah when I say awhile a mean at least two hours. Ift a start it back up within a hour or so it will fire right up. I alway wait a few seconds for the fuel pump to prime and try to start it but it still doest fire right up if it's been over a couples of hour, well sometime it does and sometime it doesn't. Is that anything that I should worry about. I would like to catch the problem early if any. Maybe a sensor or something.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:25 AM
Overdrive Member

I personally don't think it's anything to worry about. Next time you let it sit for longer than a couple of hours, turn the key to ON for a couple of seconds (fuel pump only runs for two), take the key back to off, then back to ON, a couple of seconds later try and start it.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:27 PM

I am having a similar problem I think.. I go to start mine and the fuel pump never primes it just runs for ever.. If I leave it sit for and hour or so it start right up.. Where is this check valve located and does this sound like my problem also?????

Old 03-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Overdrive Member

What do you mean it never primes? When you take the key to ON (not start), you should hear the pump kick on for 2 seconds, then shut off. I believe the check valve to be on the pump unit itself. If your pump never shuts off, it sounds like a relay problem.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:49 PM

the pump never shuts off if you leave the key in acc it will run forever and wont start.. If i leave it sit and come back turn the key to acc it runs 2 seconds and then i can start it..

Old 03-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Overdrive Member

The fuel pump should only run in the ON position, when engine is off. Something is wrong if it runs in ACC.

Quick Reply: Starting problems