93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Stalling out, stuttering??

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 07:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Stalling out, stuttering??

Well heres the problem.
My 3.8 likes to stutter and die on me.
It will also die on idle, like its not getting enough gas.
It doesnt matter if I give it a little bit of gas, or give it full throttle it will stutter, bog down and die if I dont keep it in neutral at a light or a stop sign.

Runs fine while Im driving. After I get it up to speed and let it cruise its fine..

Ive replaced the fuel filter, plugs, wires, IAC, TPS, MAF, coils, cooling system so far..

Anyone got any ideas on whats going on?
Its not throwing any trouble codes, and I cant pull any.

I can pull the fuse out for the ECM and leave it like that over night and it'll run fine for a day or so and then start acting up again..

Im thinking fuel pump is going out, not enough pressure is going to the injectors, or one of the injectors is bad.

So anyone??

Old 05-15-2009, 07:15 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i think u may be on the right track. fuel pump. check fuel pressure. maybe schucks has a gadge u can use instead of buying one.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
i think u may be on the right track. fuel pump. check fuel pressure. maybe schucks has a gadge u can use instead of buying one.
schucks??
I'll just go to auto zone lol

Old 05-15-2009, 09:14 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

haha couldnt think of any other place. here in tokeland we use the closest parts store if posible. cut rate auto parts or crap is the local place that lets us use stuff like that but i doubt u have one of those. lol maf, injectors or o2 sensor may be something to look at to.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well I got 47lbs of pressure.. So fuel pump is good, filter is good, and im assuming the regulator is aswell..

So bad injector??
But if it was a bad injector wouldnt it throw out a trouble code??

Old 05-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Any chance you are getting coolant in your cylinders? That would show up at idle much worse the the higher RPMs.

I do not see how injectors could do that and not set a code. I am not as strong with the 4th gens as I was with the 3rd. You really need a scan tool that can read sensor inputs and someone that knows what they should be. The first thing I would look is what the MAP sensor looked like as the car came off idle. Also check out what the O2 sensor are seeing when it was running rough. That info should really point to where the issue is coming from. Heck it could be a EGR valve that will not seat right.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:34 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

got water in fuel? pull fuel filter and dump the gas in it into a glass jar and see if theres water.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:50 AM
In the Staging Lanes

no theres no water in the fuel.
Idk maybe there is something getting in the cylinders.
Possibly a blown head gasket then?? Because there has been a little bit of a water/coolant loss.
I'll check the radiator after she cools off a bit..

Trust me I know nothing about the 4th gens.. But I have known every single 2nd and 3rd gen ive owned inside and out.. if it started acting up I knew what it was...

But this is buggin me

Old 05-16-2009, 07:33 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Borrow the coolant pressure tester from Autozone, see if your system will hold pressure. If it holds pressure your good. If you do not hold pressure you should pull the spark plugs to look for changes in color. If I had to guess I would say 80% of 3800II that will not hold pressure have intake issues. (this assumes all external stuff like pumps and hose where already repaired)

If I did not have a scan tool and some time on my hands I would pull the EGR valve. You could use choke cleaner and spray it on the valve and see if it leaks thru. It should be sealed.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Pressure is fine. I'll pull the plugs soon, I was told that doing it is a pita. So gotta wait to get the time.

Well if im having to pull the fuse to the ECM and letting it sit over night to reset the computer. Im wondering if the ECM is bad??

Quick Reply: Stalling out, stuttering??